Modelling Drill

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Yup,
I've had several sets of these drills - they don't really work with hand held power tools - too fragile, they won't take any side loading - they might work with a bench drill - but that's rather expensive.
I use pin chucks - good quality one, with rotating end & swappable collets - I got mine from Amazon..................
pin chuck.jpeg
Just make sure that the chuck can accommodate the drill shank!
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
I have had this for about 5 years. Works really well. Has the big advantage that the speed can be adjusted from zero to max.
P1000711(1).JPG
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm with Dave and Steve I have a selection of pin vices they work well for me.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
One of the problems of power drilling polystyrene. is that it is a thermoplastic - as it heats up, it gets sticky & melts. This then can stick to the colder drill, and either break the drill, cause a ragged hole, or not drill at all! A pin chuck - you can't really turn it fast enough to generate enough heat. To truly drill at speed, you would have to have some form of coolant/lubricant - think dentists' drill!
You can use a power drill, but you have to take it slowly, not apply too much pressure, and try not to drill too thick a work piece - and keep on backing out to remove swarf. In the end doing it by hand works better for me - I did try an Archimedes drillarchimedes drill.jpeg
BUT, you need two hands to use it - the pin chuck only one!
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
You don't need two hands for an Archimededs' drill Dave. Index finger goes on the rotating dimpled part on the top, then you should be able to move the part that causes the rotation up and down between thumb and third finger. Needs practice, but doable.

I keep meaning to try a diode in series with my Dremel to see if I can slow it to a more manageable speed.

Pete

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
That could be the thing for me Jim. I shall start trawling the tinternet and see what I come up with. Many thanks

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've tried any number of solutions over the years & have settled on pin vices as described above. I have found a cutting disc specifically for plastic in automotive use that works quite well w/my venerable Dremel. PaulE

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The issues with the Dremmel is the vibration due to the high speed which seems to effect accuracy. Unless I have the "off the back of the lorry" version:smiling5:

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
I use a Dremmel with different speed level and personally i have no issues with Dremmel :smiling:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dear sir.
We have at our local branch the following drill that may well suit your purpose.
drilling-rig-foreuses-mi4-5.jpg
As you can see , perfect operator working , water cooled, no plastic melting.
Can be seen working.
Yours The Rightway plastic drilling company.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Steve

I was going to recommend the one Jim has posted - I have their original one which has a separate transformer/speed control

As Jim says they do go right down to zero rpm

Como

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve, joking apart. :smiling2:
Surely Its down to pressure with such small shanked bits as you have shown. I've used my Dremel 3000 with care when I wanted to drill a number of holes. Simon and Jim are spot on about a slow running version, it has to feel light in the hand, have a good chuck system.
The down side for me with the pin vise is the start, I seem to press to hard and snap the bit !
John.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
One thing I find helps when drilling holes is to mark the start position with a "dimple". I use a large pin with a round head.
P1050655.JPG
I find I can position the pin point accurately and the big head lets me press to make a mark. The drill does not tend to slip then.
Jim