Modelling with non-modelling tools ...

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
I am sure that I am not alone that as part of my modelling toolbox I have tools which were never designed for modelling so I thought it might be a bit of fun, and informative, if we shared them. i am not thinking if tools which are used as designed but for modeling - such as pliers or hammers'

to start this off here are two:

Repair/darning needles - I found these years ago when looking around a fabric shop while Tina was choosing fabic- her fabric stash is larger than my stash of models! I use these when sculpting, they are really good adding creases in clothing, especially the curved ones.

IMG_0434.jpeg

i am sure I am not the only person whio has used a liquid like dettol to remove paint from metal figures, it works well but there is always at least one area where the paint will not budge, and needs a bit of 'elbow grease' to remove. My aid is this:

IMG_0431.jpeg
two things to remember - use an old head and change it before you next use it to wash your teeth!!!!

Peter

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I use a travel toothbrush that I got on a business flight to "scrub" the sprues during the washing phase prior to starting a model. This one is dedicated to modelling and never goes near my teeth :smiling5:
Modelling Toothbrush.JPG

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
The items that immediately spring to mind are cocktail sticks, bamboo skewers and coffee stirrers. Also Blu-tac is regularly used to hold parts onto the above for painting.

Reactions: JR

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Wooden toothpicks. I use them (along with blutac) to hold figures that are being painted.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I have a set of icing trowels(?) for cake making that I use for spreading filler on dio bases.
Plastic shot glasses I use for mixing stuff. Turn them upside down with a blob of Blu Tac on the bottom and they make great holders for painting figures.
The plastic dishes with lids your Chinese food comes in make an endless supply of containers for all sorts of stuff.
Plaster of Paris bandages for supporting and creating contours on dio bases. Ditto ordinary Polyfilla - other brands are available.
A cheapo bench vice (mine has removable plastic faces) for holding brass rod/tube or larger plastic strip etc for cutting.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
john - I use a disposable toothbrush for ground work and splattering mud effect.
Jim - i'm also a collector of coffee stirrers, also chopsticks from Wagamamas.
Paul - i have a set of rectangular cutters which I used to cut plate armour for some 1/10 busts.
Alan - Modelling must be a real boon for the makers of cocktail sticks - I use more for modelling than with food!
jim - I have often thought about trying a Japanese pullsaw - but for my woodworking!
Dave - similar to your use of icing trowels, i use metal artists pallet knives, I guess that the icing tools may be just as good but cheaper.
Alan - not used a baby scoop, I mix paints in old plastic cat food containers - we have only one cat but she goes through a lot of cat food so I have a nice stock of them.

It seems we modellers are pretty creative when it comes to making use of what tools are around.

Peter

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I am sure that I am not alone that as part of my modelling toolbox I have tools which were never designed for modelling so I thought it might be a bit of fun, and informative, if we shared them. i am not thinking if tools which are used as designed but for modeling - such as pliers or hammers'

to start this off here are two:

Repair/darning needles - I found these years ago when looking around a fabric shop while Tina was choosing fabic- her fabric stash is larger than my stash of models! I use these when sculpting, they are really good adding creases in clothing, especially the curved ones.

View attachment 503585

i am sure I am not the only person whio has used a liquid like dettol to remove paint from metal figures, it works well but there is always at least one area where the paint will not budge, and needs a bit of 'elbow grease' to remove. My aid is this:

View attachment 503586
two things to remember - use an old head and change it before you next use it to wash your teeth!!!!

Peter
I once converted an electric tooth brush to a sander but cutting the bristles off and sticking a little disc of wet 'n' dry etc to the end. Odd thing is, I don't know where it is now.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Alan - not used a baby scoop, I mix paints in old plastic cat food containers - we have only one cat but she goes through a lot of cat food so I have a nice stock of them.

When i was painting the oak leaf camo for my figures for the Bocage dio i had a couple of different colours on the go at any one time. So i used/still use the egg holder that came with my old fridge. It can utilise 6 colours/spaces at one time. Excellent for mixing colours and real easy clean up

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I use a paper clip with one leg bent at right angles to clean out the nozzle in my Vallejo paints. It’s just the right size.
Like everyone i have an old toothbrush to scrub models. Mine is at least twenty years old now.
Blue tack is a given, I’m sure more is used for modelling than for anything else….not sure that counts though as I use it as designed, to stick things to surfaces.
I have a small pair of flat jawed eyebrow tweezers I use to remove stray hairs from my paintbrushes. Not paintbrush bristles, I hasten to add, just the occasional cat hair or clothing fibre that tends to gravitate to wet paint.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
When i was painting the oak leaf camo for my figures for the Bocage dio i had a couple of different colours on the go at any one time. So i used/still use the egg holder that came with my old fridge. It can utilise 6 colours/spaces at one time. Excellent for mixing colours and real easy clean up
I've just thought of a good use for my ice cube doo dah from the freezer!!! Thanks for the prompt!!!!
Now to get it past SWMBO!!!!!

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Another one to add to the list...
Ping Preventer.JPG
This is my patented ping preventer (specially designed to defeat the carpet monster).
In reality it was the bag that my new pillow came in :smiling5:
Open the zip wide to put stuff in then close up as far as you want, leaving a comfortable gap to get your hands and wrists in. Due to the material, you can see what you are doing and any "pings" are caught in a defined volume.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I've just thought of a good use for my ice cube doo dah from the freezer!!! Thanks for the prompt!!!!
Now to get it past SWMBO!!!!!
Further to that, the trays from M&S garlic dough balls are great for larger amounts of paint (diorama etc). Very sturdy & easy to clean.

I also use a Ferrero Rocher container for my oil paints. It lets the oil leach out onto the cardboard without the surface getting too crusty after a day or two:

1000006941.jpg