Modelling with non-modelling tools ...

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Further to that, the trays from M&S garlic dough balls are great for larger amounts of paint (diorama etc). Very sturdy & easy to clean.

I also use a Ferrero Rocher container for my oil paints. It lets the oil leach out onto the cardboard without the surface getting too crusty after a day or two:

View attachment 503749
Still waiting for the boss to finish the FR’s!!!

• Haha
Reactions: JR

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Further to that, the trays from M&S garlic dough balls are great for larger amounts of paint (diorama etc). Very sturdy & easy to clean.

I also use a Ferrero Rocher container for my oil paints. It lets the oil leach out onto the cardboard without the surface getting too crusty after a day or two:

View attachment 503749
I use the empty foil from blister packs of indigestion tablets as disposable palettes. I'd add a photo but my PC and phone won't play nicely together.
Pete

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
I use the empty foil from blister packs of indigestion tablets as disposable palettes. I'd add a photo but my PC and phone won't play nicely together.
Pete
Pete
I also use the plastic blister packs from pills as small palettes when I only need a small amount of paint - such as when painting 54mm figures.

Peter

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Here's one I almost forgot: the first photo shows a 'Heath Robinson' contraption which can hold two plastic bottles of paint - Vallejo or similar...

IMG_0436.jpeg

the back metal bar, a jigsaw blade, fits into my jigsaw like this:

IMG_0437.jpeg
It is a bit of a beast but with it I can shake 2 bottles of paint at a time; 10-15 seconds an the paint is well and truly mixed. I mainly use it for paint that I have not used for a while; usually before I start painting a project I will blitz all of the paints using this and for subsequent, ongoing paint-shaking I have a paint shaker designed for tattoo inks.

Peter

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Good heavens, the old brain didn't fail me.
This link if for Tony' unconventional bits and pieces.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Aren’t we a resourceful bunch I like many get through loads of cocktail sticks and coffee stirrers and like Andy have a nice collection of makeup sponges and brushes

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
One thing I find very helpful which is not specific to the hobby is the command of a variety of expletives. Depending on the seriousness of the c***-*p they can be strung together so as to be more appropriate to the situation. For example a slight wobble when brush painting may only require one simple word. Whereas half a bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin over the wing of your latest, almost complete, masterpiece will certainly need a string of said expletives. The volume of the required profanity can also vary. It can range from under the breath and barely audible to shocking the people in the house next door but one.
I strongly advise those new to the hobby to acquire a sizeable vocabulary of appropriate oaths. They will become an important part of your modelling essentials and will ensure you achieve full enjoyment from this wonderful hobby.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
One thing I find very helpful which is not specific to the hobby is the command of a variety of expletives. Depending on the seriousness of the c***-*p they can be strung together so as to be more appropriate to the situation. For example a slight wobble when brush painting may only require one simple word. Whereas half a bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin over the wing of your latest, almost complete, masterpiece will certainly need a string of said expletives. The volume of the required profanity can also vary. It can range from under the breath and barely audible to shocking the people in the house next door but one.
I strongly advise those new to the hobby to acquire a sizeable vocabulary of appropriate oaths. They will become an important part of your modelling essentials and will ensure you achieve full enjoyment from this wonderful hobby.
Coming as I do from a nautical background I am pre loaded with a plethora of naughty words and phrases depending upon the occasion.
Eg - ‘seduce my old maritime footwear’.

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
My sisters make up brush, a big floppy soft bristled brush for applying the stuff that gives a girl rosey cheeks! I borrowed this in the later seventies from they then teen sister, It's excellent for pre paint dusting, along with an orange handled Swan Morton craft knife it's the oldest tool I have in my kit building box!

Miko (I think my little sis stopped looking for this brush forty years ago but I may have to return it one day?!!?)