Monogram Cutty Sark

A

Ace

I started this plastic ship at least 25 years ago, long before I could use the internet for reference! The instructions copyright is 1977 and the scale is nowhere to be seen. My notes reckon the scale at 1:155 (from measuring the keel?) and some of the rigging colors in my notes are from visiting the Balclutha and the Theyer in San Francisco.

I incorrectly drilled portholes and added doors to the blank-walled cabins but I'm keeping them. The photos show I started with weird paper doors but later replaced them with metal "N" scale doors. 

I just got started with one (one!!) bit of rigging before I stalled cuz I broke the martingale and need to make a new one. 

Undecided regarding using the sails but I'll see how they look first.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

First Name
Gwyn
Very smart looking model, I like some of these old sailing boats but would be put off because of all the rigging. Well done Neil, I like it.

A

Ace

We appear to have a Cutty Sark race. My masts and yard arms are one piece hahaha......

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

S

steve5

always wanted to do this kit , your build is looking excellent , can't wait to see this one finished

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice work so far this is looking good, :D

D

Deleted member 3568

Great looking job so far, I love the lines of these old clipper ships

A

Ace

I raided my kid's old water colors for some browns and slathered them on and wiped them off the sails...

image.jpgNeeds some dull coat methinks 

Last edited:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Your Cutty Sark is looking good Neil. Those sails are awesome, a quick matt coat and they'll look very convincing indeed.

Reactions: Ace

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
do real like the sail,s very nice job on them, :D

S

steve5

very nice ace . agree with flyjoe180 a layer of matt , should do