Morning from sunny Bedfordshire

H2O Paul

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This post will probably read the same as 80% of the other new member posts; returning to modelling after 40 years, recently retired, 1/72 is out due to failing eyesight, just bought a magnifying lamp to help, now need to practice holding my breath now to stop the shakes when putting tiny part "a" into hole "b"!! :tears-of-joy:

I'm amazed at how much on line advice there is compared to the "how to" books I had in the dark ages. Back then I just threw the model together and painted everything the right colour. As such I'm looking forward to trying out panel line washes, weathering, pigments, oil paints & proper airbrushing.

Will mostly be building 1/48 planes, 1/35 AFVs and figures.

Cheers
Paul

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Paul,
welcome to the forum - a lot has changed! New materials, techniques, and the internet has opened up a wealth of resources, references etc. Any questions, you'll get a meaningful answer here! Above all enjoy your modelmaking
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Like wise , welcome Paul.
Join in please, and no question is silly.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A warm welcome to the best forum there is
Back then I just threw the model together and painted everything the right colour.
But back then you enjoyed no frills modelling and that is still the main reason we build models. Try not to get too bogged down with YouTube and don't compare your efforts to others. It's fine to want to learn and improve but don't spoil the fun. When all's said and done we're a bunch of old farts who stick bits of plastic together :smiling:
Join in and share the hobby. I'm sure you will enjoy your time here.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome Paul!

Beds born and bred myself! But now I'm in MK.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Welcome from the seniors on here, live not far from you in sunny Luton. You will get no advice on here except sound advice on even the simplist of questions. Do not worry about the shakes, it saves you buying one of those paint shakers....

H2O Paul

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
But back then you enjoyed no frills modelling and that is still the main reason we build models. Try not to get too bogged down with YouTube and don't compare your efforts to others. It's fine to want to learn and improve but don't spoil the fun. When all's said and done we're a bunch of old farts who stick bits of plastic together :smiling:
Join in and share the hobby. I'm sure you will enjoy your time here.
:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
This post will probably read the same as 80% of the other new member posts; returning to modelling after 40 years, recently retired, 1/72 is out due to failing eyesight, just bought a magnifying lamp to help, now need to practice holding my breath now to stop the shakes when putting tiny part "a" into hole "b"!! :tears-of-joy:

I'm amazed at how much on line advice there is compared to the "how to" books I had in the dark ages. Back then I just threw the model together and painted everything the right colour. As such I'm looking forward to trying out panel line washes, weathering, pigments, oil paints & proper airbrushing.

Will mostly be building 1/48 planes, 1/35 AFVs and figures.

Cheers
Paul
....and it's a warm welcome from me too mate...
... I look forward to seeing you around the parish :thumb2:,