Mosquito NF Mk II?

First Name
Adrian
Well I've started my Mosquito build, I'm doing this straight outta the box with no extras I think it has more than enough detail to do without spending extra cash on it.

Anyway I need to decide which version to do, after seeing the great builds on here I know I wont be up to the same high standard, so I thought I may do the Night Fighter version as I havent seen many done in that colour scheme.

Hopefully will post a pics as I go ( tonite with luck )

I've benn using Vajled's post as a reference but any more help and tips gladly welcomed :smiling3:

Adrian

First Name
Adrian
Well heres my work so far

The front dials dont show up well in my rooms lighting, they do look a lot better honest :smiling3:

Cheers

Adrian

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Really good detailing there, I look forward to following this build. That landing gear leg and wheel and small tank (is that a hydraulic tank or oil tank?) is particularly well done.

M

Mustang69

Hi

It looks great. Mind if I ask what kit and scale please?

Thanks

Frikkie

First Name
Adrian
I'm almost reaching the point of painting the main frame, as its mainly black I thought you guys may be able to give me some advice.

When I use a camo scheme I often add black/yellow or white to lighten or darken the colours to show wear and tear etc, well should I add some white and do some post shading once the enite model is covered in black paint?

I've never done an entire paint job all in black so your wisdom would be appreciated :smiling3:

Cheers

Adrian

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi adrian i did this one in the nightfighter scheme too, what i did was to give the whole thing a coat of plain black ,then using a slightly lightened black carefully spray the centre of the panels etc , so leaving a slightly darker area where the panel lines and control surfaces are . I suppose its a bit like post shading the panel lines but in reverse sort of thing, after this i used a slightly different shade of black ( a few drops of brown and sky grey added i think) and just randomly misted this over various areas. Its a difficult thing , a black finish , you dont want it like a patchwork but you dont want it one uniform colour either. cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve

I don't spray black as black for the basic coat. I usually add some red to the black. It's unscientific,but I don't add much,just enough to take the edge off the black. If the result dries too red,and it has sometimes,I simply mist a light,thinned coat of the original black over it to tone it down.

For the post shade I take the original black,add a drop of white (in the paint cup) and spray a few panels. Then I add a bit more white and spray some more. Repeat until the post shade starts showing too light. At that point I stick in some more black and start again! This is a difficult way of describing,but easy way of applying,lots of different shades.

When all the shading is done you may want to tie it all together,again by overspraying a highly thinned and light coat of the original black.

This is exactly what I'll be doing to the underside of my Lancaster....eventually. The way things are going I might not have a chance to get that done until December!

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Adrian
Oh I recall reading somewhere ( now that you mention it ) about adding red to the black, think it was on a Lancaster post as well !

Thanks for that, I'm not great with an airbrush but plan to spray some wood panels first to practice on.

Adrian

First Name
Adrian
Well managed a little more on this build, just really impressed the way its all gone smoothly together, well I guess it helps been a Tamiya kit.

The keen eyed will notice I didnt paint the nav's boots, I was going to leave it, but now changing it as I want the hatch open so you will see the boot.

Thinking of another thread, I should have worn gloves or used a paper towel, my hands produce a lot of natural greases and you can see the horrible mark on the left sided wing :sad:

Well, comments welcomed as always, hoping to get the main building done by Monday so I can try my first black coat.

Cheers

Adrian

D

Doggy

It looks amazing. looking at the detail all you guys get is really intimidating.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That is looking great Ade, gonna have to get one, I'm Mossiepilot and I ain't got a Mossie.

Top work mate.

Tony.

First Name
Adrian
The camera wont pick up the shades of black that well, beleive me its better looking in the flesh, heres the first passes, not looking forward to applying Klear, I've had hit and miss results with it advice welcomed to solve this.

Comments and advice welcomed as always.

Adrian

First Name
Adrian
Its been a while since I did anything on my Mossie, to let you know I am applying the decals right now but have a real niggle on the wings with the decals showing silvering, its all been glossed, and I've applied several coats of Micro Sol to try and remove it with no luck, heres a pic of how it looks

Any advice most welcomed

Adrian

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Take a new fine pointed scalpel and gently cut the clear part of the decal as close as you can to the red lines. Then give it some with the mirco sol. once the decal starts to soften, lift out the clear parts with a brush. This is a job that needs a steady hand and nerves.

Ian M

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
Take a new fine pointed scalpel and gently cut the clear part of the decal as close as you can to the red lines. Then give it some with the mirco sol. once the decal starts to soften, lift out the clear parts with a brush. This is a job that needs a steady hand and nerves. Ian M
Well Ian, thanks for the tip,,, with a steady hand and beads of sweat on my brow I cut the clear decal away! A little damage as I weent but overall not too bad

Adrian

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Result! good work adrian , and good advice Ian! cheers tony