Mud Mud Glorious Mud

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Well, here it is, 1:48 scale Hobby Boss M4A3E8 Sherman, a lot more of a challenge than Tamiya but i enjoyed the build. Not one airbrush in sight, this was done with a brush only (because of the scale). I went for this one because i liked the colour scheme, makes a change from just green. The model needed some filling here & there and the hatches have no interior detail thats why i didn't have them open. Right, the best part, the mud. This was made with old turps (and i mean old), the stuff you keep on cleaning your not so good brushes in and still has crud in the bottom and brown chalk. Turned the chalk in a powder then just added the old turps and the crud, when it's dry it goe's lighter and looks like dried on mud. Yacht varnish was then painted on then it looks wet again, only it seals it in.

Anyways, i'll shut up now and let you look at the photos.

View attachment 12574View attachment 12575View attachment 12576

View attachment 12577View attachment 12579View attachment 12578View attachment 12580

View attachment 21681

View attachment 21682

View attachment 21683

View attachment 21684

View attachment 21685

View attachment 21686

View attachment 21687

DSCF5484.jpg

DSCF5479.jpg

DSCF5483.jpg

DSCF5482.jpg

DSCF5477.jpg

DSCF5481.jpg

DSCF5480.jpg

F

Fenlander

That is very nice. The mud looks great, very realistic. Love the colour scheme, I have never seen a tank so decorated!!!! Is it based on a real vehicle? A great build, I am looking forward to my first tank.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Another superb model and what a refreshing change for the paint work. AND no A/B!! The 'mud' is spectacular.The accessories really help too. Very well done mate.

When I was doing my M4-A1 Sherman research, I was looking on 'tinternet for colour pictures and I came across this and I fancied having a stab at the 'artwork' but it was used after the A1 so I had the perfect excuse not to do it!!!!!....Glad I didn't, your tank would have eclipsed mine and no mistake.

Top marks John, keep having fun..

Ron

N

noble

this is very nice i love the paint scheme and the dio base is simple yet very effective well done mate.

scott

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Thanks lads, the only problem i have now is "it stinks" of turps in my workshop/computer room/bedroom and the wife was not best pleased last night. But all is good today, went out shoping and i never went near a model shop and i got her a Status Quo CD to keep her happy. So it's back to the motor pool to see what i have in my stash.

Now then, what should i do next? Another Sherman or another Panzer III? Sherman,Panzer,Sherman,Panzer,Sherman,Panzer oh hello! what have we here. A KV-1, hang on i have a T-35 too. AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Trying to have fun, John

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi john,superb stuff mate , great looking slopdosh and brilliant hand painting of the tank . i love it , cheers tony

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Thanks fellas, i loved doing this paint job. I've seen some nice paint schemes for the Sherman & M-26 Pershing so some more is on the cards. As for whats next, not a clue. I've found M-10 Tank Destroyer now, decisions decisions!

Have fun, John

D

dubster72

I've only just seen this-at first I didn't what it was! Top paint job John, I've never seen this one before. As for your next project, it's got to be the T-35 with all those rivets & extra turrets. You can't knock those wacky Russian designers!

Patrick

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Hi Patrick, thanks matey. Sorry me bad, it's the T-34/85. It must be the fumes from the turps.

John

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi John,

Nice, unusual sherman. Good one. Are you saying you've only got to choose between three or four kits? Wish I was so lucky! My stash is still growing and I've got about a dozen kits all vying for top spot and sceaming "Build me next!" An' I'm already working on three! Not very fast mind 'cos I seem to spend a high proportion of my free time admiring all the stuff you guys keep producing.

Gern

Gern

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Thanks Gern, i just keep on finding models every time i look. This morning i moved some stuff and there sat a 1:35 scale AFV Club Centurion, the wife has said there's a model on top of our wardrobe so i had a look. And there it was, a 1:16 scale GMC van from 1973. I think thats going to be next.

Thanks again, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Thanks Gern, i just keep on finding models every time i look. This morning i moved some stuff and there sat a 1:35 scale AFV Club Centurion, the wife has said there's a model on top of our wardrobe so i had a look. And there it was, a 1:16 scale GMC van from 1973. I think thats going to be next.Thanks again, John
One good thing about you clearing the top of the wardrobe John is that over the w/end you'll be able to get into your Spiderman outfit, climb on top of the wardrobe and then.........

I need a drink!!!!!!!

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
One good thing about you clearing the top of the wardrobe John is that over the w/end you'll be able to get into your Spiderman outfit, climb on top of the wardrobe and then.........I need a drink!!!!!!!
LOL, the wife has just said it'll be a feather duster for the spiderwebs and nothing else.

I think i need the medication now, John