Multi-layered paint chipping - first go!

Q

Quintin

Hey all,

I've been doing some reading up on multi-layered paint chipping - where chipping would be done to both the top layer paint as well as on the model's primer.

Here's my first try - some blue colour over tamiya yellow.

View attachment 90374

View attachment 90375

Any and all comments welcome!

Quintin

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413483584.596677.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413483608.798106.jpg

D

dubster72

In all honesty Quintin ... personally I don't like it!

The effect looks too random, as if there's no relation between what's happened to each coat.

Bearing in mind that heavy chipping would only happen on particular areas of very high wear, it would be a 'spot' effect, rather than one affecting larger areas.

And here's a silly question : are aircraft primed? I always thought that due to weight constraints & that the metal used is aluminium, any top coat was applied directly?

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
My experience of aircraft paint finishes is varied but generally paint comes off for a couple of reasons and the first is poor surface preparation. This applies to primer or paint but I rarely saw an aircraft with exposed primer, in most cases the base metal/material was exposed. Second is corrosion - corrosion contaminants between paint and metal will cause the paint to flake off. Third is erosion/FOD/operator induced due to the operating conditions of the aircraft. I see lots of landing gears with stone chips and panels with chipped edges or around fasteners that are used a lot, e.g. Engine bay latches and door handles.

Having said all that, I saw an Easyjet A320 at Gatwick yesterday with an eight foot long section of missing white paint and the primer in one piece below showing through like a map of Czechoslovakia!

To my knowledge Patrick all painted aircraft are primed though there will be exceptions like stealth aircraft and the surface that is being painted. Q400's operating in austere conditions have a neoprene type coat applied on the hull of the fuselage, I'm not sure if this is primed before the paint is applied.

The only aircraft finish that I know of that does not have any primer at all is the bare metal look.

Others might have different experiences of aircraft paint finishes.

D

dubster72

\ said:
To my knowledge Patrick all painted aircraft are primed though there will be exceptions like stealth aircraft and the surface that is being painted. Q400's operating in austere conditions have a neoprene type coat applied on the hull of the fuselage, I'm not sure if this is primed before the paint is applied.

The only aircraft finish that I know of that does not have any primer at all is the bare metal look.

Others might have different experiences of aircraft paint finishes.
Cheers Rick! That's cleared up something that's bothered me for ages!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I have to say Quintin that I agree with Patrick on this, I don't think you've pulled it off with the blue on yellow but the yellow on silver is okay.

I tried using a chipping medium from Vallejo on my Dauntless, while not perfect I am really happy with it and will try it again.

Q

Quintin

Thanks for the comments, guys. As it is still a learning curve, I'll carry on stuffing up my old Sabre kit! Lol! But will definitely post progress pics in future again.

Cheers.