My Ducati 916 Build

B

Bikecrazidanny

Hi guys, well thanks for all your help so far in my build so for your enjoyment/scrutineering, lol I give to you the first pics of my progress.

They are a little on the big side this time but hopefully i'll sort that out for the next post :smiling3:

DSCF0076.JPG

DSCF00801.JPG

Last edited:
M

mattm

Looking good. nice finish on the paint. What paints did you use there?

B

Bikecrazidanny

Im using tamiya acrylics mattm, the swing arm was air brushed. Im finding the paint works well by using a little in a paint tray and add a little thinner to it before you use it and take your time. Mostly I've noticed that it's best if you leave each coat to go off over night.Im also coating it with a clear varnish but I hadn't done it in these pics. Hope that helps mate :smiling3:

B

Bikecrazidanny

Hey Guys,

Just a quick up date on the progress of the Ducati, it's been very slow as i've not had much time on it this week. But here are a few more pictures for you all :smiling3:

Hope to have alot more done by the end of the weekend :smiling3:

B

Bikecrazidanny

Getting there :smiling3:

Probably should have put this in the work in progress thread, sorry about that John :/

B

Bunkerbarge

Having made a number of bikes and Ducatis in particular I notice one thing that always used to bug me and that is the fact that metallic paints rarely seem to look scale. Tamiya metallics in particular look very grainy if the scale is taken into consideration so I used to play around with various clear finishes over the metallic paint. I also looked out for metallic paints with a much smaller grain appearrance and used to like Floquil paints. They also dry to a matt finish but a couple of coats of clear on top used to give me a better scale metallic finish.

Looking very neat and tidy though and brings back many fond memories for me. I haven't built a bike for many years now and I really did enjoy building them. If you look in my gallery there are a few there.

B

Bikecrazidanny

Thanks bunker, I was kinda thinking that myself about the grain in the paint. I'm hoping the clears I'm using will also do a similar kind of job, fingers crossed. I shall also have a snoop around your gallery too ;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Danny. This is looking really good.

I have moved this to the Under construction section so every one can see/find it. It deserves to be seen!!!

Ian M

B

Bikecrazidanny

Exhausts on, not happy with the Tamiya supposed colour on the link pipes but it will do for this version, my own mixed colour on the cans though :smiling3:

One thing I've noticed while putting this together as this is my first build in a very long time is the amount of parts I could have put together and tidied up before painting. Suppose that's called learning, lol :smiling3:

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good!

I think Tamiya are one of the firms that holds fast in the "as near as we have" colour school of thought!

One small tip if I may; that big fat tyre will look a bit better if you gave it a gentle scrub with some fine wet and dry paper, just to take off the shine on the contact area.

Ian M

B

Bikecrazidanny

Hi guys, been a while but i've managed to get a little more done, hoping to get the base coat on the body work too this weekend, pictures will follow of that when It happens :smiling3: Only a few more minor bits added but it's coming along now :smiling3:

A

andyrobs

Hi Dan, thats a great lloking build mate,very impressive!!!!

I've never built a bike, seeing yours makes me wanna get one and try!!!!

Cheers,Andrew

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Dan just caught up on this one , and my i say a very nice build its turning out to be very well painted and constructed looking forward to the finished item well done

First Name
Andy
Hi Dan,

This is a sweet looking ride, I don't really see the scale thing with the paint though, but I'm sure once you get the fairing & seat on it will all blend together, it's look's real enough to me as it is now though, great work...

I do agree with Ian about the tyres though, unless you made some small labels to stick on them, same as the ones that are on brand new unused tyres...

Andy...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking really great this. The tyres look a lot better, did you scrub them?

I can see that I will have to try my hand at one of these mechanical horse things!!!!

Ian M

B

Bikecrazidanny

Thanks for all your kind words guys, i'm enjoying this very much but there are alot of things that I know now which would make this build alot better so can't wait till my next 1/12th bike project :smiling3:

@ Ian M, yes I have scrubbed the tyres, thanks for giving me the hint to do so :smiling3:

So here is the first coat of paint guys, managed to get it on this morning in between rain showers, wish I had a spray booth in my house so I didn't have to go outside to spray ZERO paints, lol. Jeez they reek !!!

B

Bikecrazidanny

Hi guys, got an issue. Ive managed to ruin the main Ducati decals on the side panels. Does anyone know where I can get a new set or has someone got a set they dont need I could buy off them??? :sad: