My feathered friend.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Been feeding her for a couple of months now, both with raisins and mealy grubs. Shes become so tame that when we go into the garden she appears, even running up to us by the door when we call .

Will land on the patio table and ask for food. Today we emptied a load of pots and straight away she was there. Her one baby is hiding in the boarders and she is back and fwd feeding. Shes starting to look a bit tired , so have ordered some more mealy worms as a treat.

2021_5.jpg2021_3.jpg

Its a pleasure to be in the garden and have her along side.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OH GOOD ON YOU John what is it a female blackbird ?
chris

Reactions: JR

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Fantastic John, good man!!

I have been feeding birds in the garden for a while and to my delight when they are feeding i am able to watch them close up

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YEA Jen has got a robin she feeds an its gettin quite tame if i can i'll get a pic of it as its a plump little bird
chris

Reactions: JR

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Been feeding her for a couple of months now, both with raisins and mealy grubs. Shes become so tame that when we go into the garden she appears, even running up to us by the door when we call .

Will land on the patio table and ask for food. Today we emptied a load of pots and straight away she was there. Her one baby is hiding in the boarders and she is back and fwd feeding. Shes starting to look a bit tired , so have ordered some more mealy worms as a treat.

View attachment 429927View attachment 429928

Its a pleasure to be in the garden and have her along side.
Loving that John :thumb2: ,
We`re both big time Bird fans,have literally dozens of them feeding from AM to PM in the garden!:smiling:
As for what type it is,i`m certainly no expert!!..... However,it`s just my thoughts,but in "Birdie Speak"i`d say it`s BABY BOOM time,hence they`re SO new looking that they haven`t yet developed the feathers,shape,or colourings that their parents have..... so it`s not really surprising that it`s difficult to identify!
Good on you and Christine mind... TOP EFFORT in looking after the poor little mite:thumb2::cool:,
Andy

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
We feed birds from September to about April but stop in the summer once there is enough food about for them. Sometimes there can be around a hundred in the garden, of many varieties.
Mind you, herself is complaining about the sparrows at the moment. She is feeding them on beetroot seedlings LOL. Every time she puts some out they get eaten.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Very nice gesture Dude 2, but over here tonight, I was about to star in the remake of the old Alfred Hitchcock film.

DSC00052.JPG

And these baby's aren't so tiny either,

DSC00051.JPG

I'm staying inside for a while..............................Don't want to be a movie star..........Yet...........

Dude 1

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Very nice gesture Dude 2, but over here tonight, I was about to star in the remake of the old Alfred Hitchcock film.

Aah, "The Tower Crane". A Hitchcock classic.

Talking of which... One of our ducks was killed the other day, a healthy 2 year old Khaki Campbell. We thought Fox or Mink, and took appropriate precautions. Heard a kerfuffle a week later & two big, gnarley old crows were beating the living b'jeezes out of another of our quackers.

She's OK but has a puncture wound to the neck & a hole in her head. Nasty baskets.

I never knew they took full size healthy birds.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
OH GOOD ON YOU John what is it a female blackbird ?
chris
Yes indeed it is Lee, she's a little sweet heart , much braver than any of the males.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Fantastic John, good man!!

I have been feeding birds in the garden for a while and to my delight when they are feeding i am able to watch them close up
Thank you. Doesn't take them long Bob to realise that your not a threat.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
YEA Jen has got a robin she feeds an its gettin quite tame if i can i'll get a pic of it as its a plump little bird
chris
If Jen keeps that up Chris she will be able to hand feed it. Robins can be so tame .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Loving that John :thumb2: ,
We`re both big time Bird fans,have literally dozens of them feeding from AM to PM in the garden!:smiling:
As for what type it is,i`m certainly no expert!!..... However,it`s just my thoughts,but in "Birdie Speak"i`d say it`s BABY BOOM time,hence they`re SO new looking that they haven`t yet developed the feathers,shape,or colourings that their parents have..... so it`s not really surprising that it`s difficult to identify!
Good on you and Christine mind... TOP EFFORT in looking after the poor little mite:thumb2::cool:,
Andy
She's a female Blackbird Andy, starting the season she was a soft brown, as time has gone on the contant work nest building and feeding is begining to take it's toil on her.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Aah, "The Tower Crane". A Hitchcock classic.

Talking of which... One of our ducks was killed the other day, a healthy 2 year old Khaki Campbell. We thought Fox or Mink, and took appropriate precautions. Heard a kerfuffle a week later & two big, gnarley old crows were beating the living b'jeezes out of another of our quackers.

She's OK but has a puncture wound to the neck & a hole in her head. Nasty baskets.

I never knew they took full size healthy birds.
Poor thing Dan ,hope she's ok. Didn't think they did either, have seen them go for a rabbit with myxomatosis, and peck at it. Very cruel .

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
oh how sweet she is ,and how nice to have her there to get all the nasty bugs and grubs in your yard,
I have a few black birds and thrushes that come around dawn and dusk rooking about in the leaf litter I
on the garden to brake down and try to keep some moisture in the grand,but have to watch miss moggy
dose not make them a snack,and also have about 6 or so willy wage tails come around the outside in the
cover of the trees,ost morning as well,real nice to see and hear them each day, :smiling: ;)

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Lovely what you're doing John for the mummy Blackbird. Our neighbours scatter rice padi on the road outside our house for the birds and there is always a pair of burung Tekukur that pace the length of the road picking at the rice padi.The pair are often male and female, gay or lesbian...hey it's a free world. They get their name from the sound they make "Terr Kurr Kurr" and is a species of wild pigeon. I think. Slender and lovely markings that are blue gray and sometimes have a tinge of violet in the dusk. If you sit quietly, they can walk right up to you busy pecking the ground. With the cats around they don't come so often now. One day I will get a picture but for now here's a reference of one from Google...

Birdincage3.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Lovely what you're doing John for the mummy Blackbird. Our neighbours scatter rice padi on the road outside our house for the birds and there is always a pair of burung Tekukur that pace the length of the road picking at the rice padi.The pair are often male and female, gay or lesbian...hey it's a free world. They get their name from the sound they make "Terr Kurr Kurr" and is a species of wild pigeon. I think. Slender and lovely markings that are blue gray and sometimes have a tinge of violet in the dusk. If you sit quietly, they can walk right up to you busy pecking the ground. With the cats around they don't come so often now. One day I will get a picture but for now here's a reference of one from Google...

View attachment 429960

Cheers,
Richard
That’s got to be related to a turtle dove Richard, it looks so much like one. They are beautiful birds that are unfortunately very rare in our country now. They make a fantastic noise, almost like an oversized cat purring!