My first complete build - Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire

C

Cooperman69

Hi,

Well, I finally got my first build finished this weekend. Even though I've been on here for a while now I've never finished a kit conplete and been able to post some photos. I have had a couple of "bin jobs" along the way due to an accident with a pot of Tamiya extra thin cement with one model and another which has ended up being my airbrush practice mule.

But this time I've managed to finish a kit, probably due to my missus promising her boss I would build him a Spitfire :smiling3:

I've mainly used Tamiya paints throughout the build but the Dark Earth was Xtracrylics, and the finish coat is Vallejo Matt. It's also the first time of trying a wash coat and I used Flory Models Dark Dirt for the panel lines with Tamiya Smoke for the exhaust staining and gun ports.

Anyway here goes and I hope the photos upload OK. Any and all comments greatfully received, and if anyone has any tips or suggestions then please feel free :smiling3:

View attachment 64804View attachment 64805View attachment 64806View attachment 64807

View attachment 64808View attachment 64809View attachment 64810View attachment 64811

View attachment 64818View attachment 64819

I'm a couple of weeks off of finishing a Tamiya MkVb Spitfire too and as soon as I've finished I'll post some of that build.

Atb,

Colin.

View attachment 65994

View attachment 65995

View attachment 65996

View attachment 65997

View attachment 65998

View attachment 65999

View attachment 66000

View attachment 66001

View attachment 66008

View attachment 66009

IMG_3084.JPG

IMG_3087.JPG

IMG_3101.JPG

IMG_3094.JPG

IMG_3104.JPG

IMG_3090.JPG

IMG_3086.JPG

IMG_3058.JPG

IMG_3066.JPG

IMG_3055.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Give yourself a big pat on the back colin , this is superb mate. You say this is your first? I cant wait to see whats to come! Your wifes boss is in for a real treat , 5 stars from me , cheers tony

C

Cooperman69

Hi Tony,

Yes, my first proper kit for many a year anyway.

I use to build back in my teenage years, (about 25 years ago!) and got back into it about a couple of years ago when I broke my foot and was bored sitting at home. My missus went out and bought me an Airfix 1/72 starter kit of a Red Arrow which I enjoyed building so much, even though it was full of finger prints, glue and brush marks, it got me hooked again :smiling3: . Then last year I was busy with work, DIY, etc and it took a bit of a back seat.

I then realised there was a world of difference between my starter kit and the quality of scale modelling the members make here, so I've been watching you guys and your builds, collecting tips and practicing, failing along the way and hopefully learning too. As I said, there where a couple of mishaps on route which ended in the bin or the practice bench. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger right :smiling3:

Thanks for the kind comments.

Atb.

Last edited:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That's a great looking Spitfire Colin like Tony say's give yourself a big pat on the back 5 stars from me also

S

Stevekir

Nice! The 7th photo (Port side closeup) shows a good even paint job. I think a model of a Spit. is a really pretty object to gaze at. I have my 1/72 on a shelf at the bottom of the stairs. Other subjects can impressively big, powerful, evil etc. but the Spit. is a sweetie.

T

tecdes

That is very nice Colin. Just understated weathering which I find very pleasing. Like the powder trail from the gun ports. Also the panel lines which you have superimposed over the decals a nice touch.

Laurie

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
There's nothing wrong with that. Brilliant job, be it first build or any other build. Really nice.

Colin M.

First Name
Aaron
Splendid...nice weathering mate. Top marks with that build. :smiling3:

First Name
Jason
Very clean work Sir and a nice subtle weathering job.:welldone: Top marks from me as well.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
A real beautiful example of a spitfire fantastic work all around I hope you get to keep your next one :score::score:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Nicely done Sir. A fine Spitfire Colin. The weathering and attention to detail is superb.

Tony.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Colin a great build with some lovely panel line detail you should be very proud of your build.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I can't really add anything except my own "well done". It looks very nice indeed.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Gregg
That weathering is first class, can't fault anything!

Gregg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Colin that is a great result. That paint work looks as smooth as a babies bum!

Five start from me. nice one,

Ian M

C

Cooperman69

Thanks for all the kind comments guys, really chuffed you like it :smiling3:

Also want to say thanks for everyones help and tips on here.

I find this forum really is invaluable to me when it comes to sourcing help on everything from model construction to factual information.

Atb,

Colin.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Beautiful Spitfire there Colin, got to be a big 5*.

Have fun, John