My first diorama 95% complete

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Looking good there Alan, from being just a bare dio to something with details for the eye to room to. I like this a lot. That river looks okay in natural daylight, it does look fast flowing to me.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers , I won't be doing anything so elaborate in the future , I think I got a little carried away with it lol , I'm quite pleased with it for a first atempt although if I'd given it a bit more thought I know I could have done some things a little different

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Cheers , I won't be doing anything so elaborate in the future , I think I got a little carried away with it lol , I'm quite pleased with it for a first atempt although if I'd given it a bit more thought I know I could have done some things a little different
I know what you mean regarding doing things different. I tend to find something to do afterwards and then it is difficult to add to it...I never learn :smiling3:

This http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/started-a-1870s-canal-dio.19520/ is my late 1920's canal dio, it has a 1880 steam inshore lobster/crab boat that has been towed up the canal for breaking. I keep putting it off as I work out the water lol.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I know what you mean regarding doing things different. I tend to find something to do afterwards and then it is difficult to add to it...I never learn :smiling3: This http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/started-a-1870s-canal-dio.19520/ is my late 1920's canal dio, it has a 1880 steam inshore lobster/crab boat that has been towed up the canal for breaking. I keep putting it off as I work out the water lol.

Water is always a problem however I did see something in my local hobby shop today it was called Instent water , just heat it and you get water , now I don't know how this works as the packet didn't give any instructions , it just looked like little balls of clear plastic but I suppose when heated they dissolve and become like a liquid that sets hard and gives the effect of water when cooled, I have to admit I didn't spend to much time looking at it because I was looking for something else but if I'm right it may answer your broblem.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Nice work Alan, lots going on there as Si said. I like the mud on the truck, makes me want to go eat a whole chocolate bar by myself.
Aw don't mention chocolate ! Ill end up eating my diorama lol

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Water is always a problem however I did see something in my local hobby shop today it was called Instent water , just heat it and you get water , now I don't know how this works as the packet didn't give any instructions , it just looked like little balls of clear plastic but I suppose when heated they dissolve and become like a liquid that sets hard and gives the effect of water when cooled, I have to admit I didn't spend to much time looking at it because I was looking for something else but if I'm right it may answer your broblem.
Yeah, now you mention it I have seen something similar. May get some and give it a go. For small areas I have used epoxy, top stuff as there is no shrinkage but I struggled in larger areas, they stuff cracked and crazed.

P

Polux

Excellent diorama! With many possibilities!! I will be watching for the Land Rover ;)

Cheers

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent diorama Allan, nicely laid out and loads of different textures from the excellent water, thru. to the grass and trees.

You should be well chuffed with the result. You're off to a flying start with this, keep it up and here's to the next one.

Well done....

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys , my next one is El Alamein , I've got a panzer for and a Matilda Mk II with afrika Korps and eighth army in 1/76 scale :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Looking superb Alan, really like this. Reminds me of training in Germany.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Funny you should say that Si I was going for a recon unit on manoeuvres. :smiling3: Glad you like it

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Funny you should say that Si I was going for a recon unit on manoeuvres. :smiling3: Glad you like it
Certainly do like it, think all the parts work really well and you have staggered the dios items to give loads going on in a uncluttered way, if that makes sense. Nice use of grass roll too, sometimes this can look like a carpet but the bumps etc on the landscape make it work really well.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Certainly do like it, think all the parts work really well and you have staggered the dios items to give loads going on in a uncluttered way, if that makes sense. Nice use of grass roll too, sometimes this can look like a carpet but the bumps etc on the landscape make it work really well.Si:smiling3:
Cheers Si :smiling3: , living in a rural area gave me the opportunity to go out and look at what a freshly mowed field looked like so I could try to emulate that in the build it also gave me chance to see how trees and bushes apear in the natural landscape , I noticed that you don't always get rows of trees lining the side of roads and lanes , the river and stone bridge is taken from my childhood in birmingham , I'm realy pleased with how it turned out.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
And so you should be, cracking piece. When I started doing dios, I would cram all sorts of foliage and stuff thinking it looked good. It didn't it looked cramped and overwhelmed. So I tend to thin it out now and add items in certain places, so your eye moves from one piece to the other like a painting...still easy to get carried away though lol.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That looks really good Alan, and your right, natural stuff doesn't grow in neat rows, and yours looks just right.

Tony.