My First Go...

First Name
Andy
Hi all,

Well I have finally made a start of my first ever diorama...

I have no idea what it it going to be yet, so am just going to try different things, so far, the wood I am using is an old shelf, I first thought of just doing a bit of a road section with a dirt verge...

The black is some matt car paint I had in the shed...

Then I remembered I had a tin of expanding foam, it was one of those "I might need that one day" moments in Lidls, it's been sat in my shed for the last couple of years, so thought I'd try and use it for some hills...

Once again I remembered that I had bought some Modroc Plaster Bandage off E-Bay, again, some years ago, the diorama build has been in my head for some time but never got round to it, until now...

I laid a couple of layers downs...

And then painted it with some Vallejo Brown Earth ( 200ml Stone Textures Brown Earth Vallejo 26.219 )...

Please comment away, hints & tips greatly gratefully received & appreciated...

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great to see you having a go at a diorama Andy and it's shaping up just nice. I just knew the temptation would be too much!!lol

A dirt road and a verge is always a good starting point, plenty to mess about with and almost any model can be put on the road.....good choice.

Not so much hints and tips, more a bit of advise......Don't rush it and as it's your first dio, keep it simple and try different techniques.....Most important of all, don't worry when something doesn't look right, smile and have another go......

I'm sure we will all pitch in with any help you require as the build progresses. Keep the pictures coming.

Finally, if you get annoyed with it- as I usually do- Don't turn that blowlamp I can see on to it!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I'm with Ron, don't rush. The beauty of a dio is, if you make a mistake you can hide it with something. How do you think i build lol!! I've got three models on the go and got fed up with them as things aren't going right, if you get to that stage mate put it to one side and do something else. Then all of a sudden it'll hit you and everything falls into place.

And remember, have fun. John

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
hi there andy ... very promising start ... the neat thing about dio's is that u can chop and change as u go along. i ventured into dio's a few mnths ago and find them great fun. u r only limited by yr imagination.... have fun ..... cheers lindsey

P

Polux

Great start!! I like it Andy!!

Good luck with your first dio, mate!

Polux

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Good start Andy, keep it up mate.

Tony.

M

MrTin

Just remember that tarmac is actually a dark up to light grey, depending on its age, then it has the dust of the locale on it, by wind blowing and by traffic grinding it into the surface. Is it a dry scene or is it an English misty, murky scene? Damp is always a bit darker.

You could tone the earth colour with some darker stuff in a patchy way before you put the grass on. Make sure the tarmac runs in to the grass smoothly.

Good start. Keep going.

Martin

P

pneupack

Nice work would love to do a scratch build diorama, looking forward to the finished dio.

Robert

A

AJay

Nice work so far! I've never built diorama myself although do need to for a model I'm building right now. Glad to see you've got more get up and go than me :smiling3:

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Nice Work!!

Try going onto Amera Plastic Mouldings as they sell nice additions to a Diorama, Beach to Airfield Diorama.

Keep up at it!

Airfix Modeller Freak