My first helicopter build in years

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Well, it's done. I have finished the Hobby Boss CH-46 D, not a bad little kit but, one of the clear parts needs to be painted the same as the helicopter and on mine it now a window (oops!). There was no sign of flash on the crisply moulded parts so it was straight into the build, nice and simple just the way i like it. Masked all that was needed (plus one) and sprayed it up in Hycote Bumper Dark Grey car paint. And before you ask, yes i did look for reference photos but the door was always open on the Sea Knight. Now, this is where "Sods law" comes in, i found a nice photo after the paint and decals was on.

Hope you like it, John

View attachment 11794View attachment 11795View attachment 11796View attachment 11797View attachment 11798View attachment 11799

View attachment 21254

View attachment 21255

View attachment 21256

View attachment 21257

View attachment 21258

View attachment 21259

DSCF5382.jpg

DSCF5378.jpg

DSCF5377.jpg

DSCF5381.jpg

DSCF5380.jpg

DSCF5379.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I certainly do like it John, top doller stuff. and here's me thinking you were just like me......A ham fisted armour modeller!

Looking at the detail in this you should have been a brain surgeon and judging by the decals it must have been a book of them not just a sheet.

Very well done and keep having fun,

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
great job john , superb finish. how did you find the hycote aerosol?,ive been banging on about them for ages, nice to see someone else getting a great result with them. well done cheers tony

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Thanks lads, after the oops moment i just got on with it and loved building the Sea Knight. Decals Ron, you'd would of thought it was a book mate with how many there is. They set nicely with a little Revell decal setting solution so i'm happy with Hobby Boss's decals.

I've used Hycote aerosol on all my Star Trek models Tony and found it good but, i get the bumper paint as it for specifically for plastic and it goe's on styrene very well. So it get's a big thumb's up from me.

Have fun, John

F

Fenlander

Really nice paint job and the decal scheme is great . There is something quite special about a kit so cleanly build and finished as this one. Nice one John, the bar keeps getting set higher lol.

B

Backbreaker

:thumbsup:You've been having fun again.

Great job John.

BB

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
Really nice paint job and the decal scheme is great . There is something quite special about a kit so cleanly build and finished as this one. Nice one John, the bar keeps getting set higher lol.
Thanks Graham, i've got to tell you mate, it took all my time not to weather it :hehe:.

John.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
:thumbsup:You've been having fun again.Great job John.

BB
I'm having lots of fun BB, i've been out buying again.

Thanks mate, John

N

noble

I have to say that i like this and i have been tempted to buy the revell halo, but a very nice job my friend keep it up.

scott

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
I have to say that i like this and i have been tempted to buy the revell halo, but a very nice job my friend keep it up.scott
Cheers Scott, i now have a problem. I'm running out of space, been sorting my room out and found some models i forgot about. Some more helicopter's (Lynx) and some Gundam kits, not a clue where i got that from!

John

D

dubster72

That looks excellent John, a really good model and very realistic. I'd like to be able to produce something like that. I like the 'Mars' sponsership-a case 'work, rest & drop the lads off in the combat zone!'

Patrick

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Sorry about that Gern, i forgot the scale. It's 1:72 mate, a nice kit too.

LOL, i like it Patrick, i've got a Mars bar in me hand now. Can't seem to find any info though, the only thing i have is CH-46D, 154000, SA/40, HC-3 'Pack Rats' Det 104, USN, 'Mars'. I'm hoping Oldhooker see's this and can give us some info, because he used to work with the CH-47's.

Anyway, thanks for the great comments, John

D

dubster72

1/72? It looks more like 1/48 which is a mark of how good this model is. mmm mars bars! Patrick

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
1/72 makes it even more impressive. It's rare to see such good detail in such a small kit. Nice one!

Gern

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I wished it was 1:48 scale, with all the decals i'm a little cross eyed. Patrick, stop it, i fancy another Mars now. I'll be running round like R2D2 lol

Now running, John