My first serious build for 2 decades...

H

harrier-1973

Hi all.

Well this is my first attempt at building a kit to a relatively high standard, as my Iwata airbrush has finally arrived and I can lay my cheapo airbrush to rest in a dark corner of the attic! This is the Revell 767-300 1/144 in KLM colours. Assembled so far are the fuselage, wings, horizontal stabilisers and main landing gear. The parts have been masked off accordingly and treated to two coats of white acrylic primer. After 24 hours drying it will be time to wet sand the primer ready for the first of the top coats.

I'm not normally that keen on Revell aircraft but this isn't a bad kit at all, especially considering the tiny price tag (although I did buy it in 2003!) The fuselage needed a bit of slicing to make the windscreen fit but apart from that it's gone together nicely so far...

More pics to come!

John

View attachment 39257

View attachment 43218

DSC_4486.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This should be good. I'm not an airliner guy myself but always like to see something different. I've built a few dogs from Revell too but they do some good stuff as well.

Cheers

Steve

H

harrier-1973

The fuselage has had 3 mist coats of blue & a rub down with 4000 grit micro mesh and is now drying out its first wet coat. I'm happy to report that the Iwata is a dream to use with both enamels and acrylics and I'm still gobsmacked that a sub-£100 airbrush can give such consistent results in the hands of a rookie!

Quick question - as far as the quality of the paint job goes (not worried about drying time as such) what do you think it the best way to dry/cure the enamel in between wet coats? Room temperature (20-21c in our house) or somewhere that is consistently warmer i.e. the airing cupboard, which tends to be around 4-5 degrees hotter that the house. The warmer the better (to a certain extent!) or does it make little difference? I'm planning on drying for about 3 days.

John

View attachment 43328

View attachment 43329

DSC_4492.jpg

DSC_4497.jpg

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just leave it a room temp it will be just fine!

Ian M