My Second Completed Build

Hello i have just finished my second build which is a Revell He111 the build took me just shy of a year to complete could you please tell me what you think and if the weathering is ok (too much or too little)

For the build i used resin exhausts, white metal landing gear, Eduard interior, exterior, wheel well, bomb bay photo etch sets and brass gun barrels.

thank you

Rob

View attachment 67976

View attachment 67977

View attachment 67978

View attachment 67979

View attachment 67980

View attachment 67981

View attachment 67982

View attachment 67983

View attachment 67984

View attachment 67985

DSCF7143.jpg

DSCF7144.jpg

DSCF7145.jpg

DSCF7146.jpg

DSCF7147.jpg

DSCF7148.jpg

DSCF7150.jpg

DSCF7151.jpg

DSCF7153.jpg

DSCF7154.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spyderman_uk

Wow, that is one very impressive build! It looks superb.

Can't really say much about the weathering as if there is any on the top it is so subtle to be un-noticeable. :smiling3:

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
thats one quality build and paint job one to be proud of

P

Polux

Hi Rob.

This build looks very,very good.

I'm not a plane expert...but looks really well painted, as the decals too.

The weathering of the exhausts...maybe reduced with a clean brush with white spirit?

It's not a criticism!!

It's a five stars build! Sure!!

Cheers

Polux

That's what i was after i wanted to know what and what not to do on my next build so please any weathering and building tips would be very appreciated

Cheers

Rob

M

mobear

really nicely painted nice and crisp,the exhaust staining is a bit to heavy,though i`m the same,but i do like the HE111

mobear

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Rob, I wouldn't presume to give you any building or painting tips, that looks like a beautiful job to me.

I can give you a factual tip for your exhausts. On Luftwaffe aircraft they were blacked with a substance not unlike the stuff used to black stoves and ranges in days gone by. Now this might not have been rigorously maintained during periods of hectic action like the attack on England, but they started out that way.

As for weathering, I'm not a fan of the overdone look so popular in recent years, I think yours looks just fine. It's really a matter of personal taste though.

Which paints did you use? You've got a beautiful finish over what is obviously a really well built model.

Ole, exhaust staining could be very heavy indeed using the fuels of the day, particularly if combat settings had been used, but there were standing orders to clean the stains as they compromised camouflage, particularly on the undersides. They could be there or not, just depends at what moment in time when you've "caught" the subject!

Cheers

Steve

Thank you for all the positive comments i didnt really like the staining for the exhausts but thats the way i have seen a few others done the paints i used where a mixture of revell aqua and life colour for underneath with some klear dor the decals and some liquitex matt for the finish coat

My brother would rather the models be "factory fresh" so i think the seafire im doing now will be

cheers

Rob

T

tecdes

That is a real smoothy Rob. Nice crisp detail. Second model youch looks like you have been at it for years.

I am going for some weathered now & some not. I will make up my mind towards the end of building.

Laurie

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Realy good build that is I would have loved to see the cock pit detail before the finished job because it looks like you've done a realy good job from the view from through the windows.

Just a tip for weathering , the exhaust stain is a little heavy but it looks good

I would have added a little bit of weathering to the edges of the wings to give it a look of flying through flak smoke

First Name
Jason
I'm no plane expert Rob but that is one nice clean build sir.

Jason

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
My brother would rather the models be "factory fresh" so i think the seafire im doing now will be

cheers

Rob
As a non-acrylic user I'm impressed with the finish, though I've heard very good things on the old jungle drums about Lifecolour paints.

Weathering is very personal. I will always try and duplicate a reference and as someone whose been modelling aircraft for , ahem, a while, I can safely say that most service aircraft were well maintained. The finish could be worn and a bit tired but it was rarely dirty.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic job rob , congrats. I take it from the pic where youre holding it that this is the 1/32 scale kit? Great job , looking forward to the seafire , cheers tony

it is 1/32 i was scared of dropping it or knocking something off the only problem now i have built it i have nowhere to put it its a monster!!

T

treyzx10r

Rob amazing looking 111 and your second build,WOW! Ca'nt wait to see your next one! My big thing with weathering is looking at actual pictures of the subject and trying to replicate the level of wear and tear accordingly. You've really done a very nice build there and one to be proud of for sure! Heres the best pic of exhaust stains on a 111 I could dig up

Last edited:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Rob amazing looking 111 and your second build,WOW! Ca'nt wait to see your next one! My big thing with weathering is looking at actual pictures of the subject and trying to replicate the level of wear and tear accordingly. You've really done a very nice build there and one to be proud of for sure! Heres the best pic of exhaust stains on a 111 I could dig up
As Stona points out, there are instructions to keep aircraft clean, then someone was in for a 'bit of a talking to' about this aircraft !

But weathering, it's a bit like when a woman asks which dress to wear, red or blue. There's no right answer, except to say, it can be easily overdone. And this comes from someone who does like them dirty.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Wow she's one big bird(I've got one in my stash) you've done a fantastic job on the paint work and weathering. As you say finding a home for her is going to be a bit of a problem and I think that's whats putting me off building mine.