My Taisho by Ray Lamb

Y

yellowcat

Here is my Taisho by Ray Lamb. It is painted in enamel and artist oil. All the flower pattern is painted by freehand with a fine watercolor brush. To view bigger picture, just click on the image and enlarge in photobucket.

View attachment 120933

View attachment 120934

View attachment 120936

View attachment 120937

View attachment 120938

View attachment 120939

View attachment 120940

View attachment 120942

View attachment 120943

View attachment 120944

View attachment 120946

View attachment 120935

taisho052f_zpsqhmidmge.jpg

Taisho%20005_zpsvj4iueh7.jpg

Taisho%20002_zpsgo2xiklp.jpg

Taisho%20004_zpsesnbclky.jpg

Taisho%20003_zpsjqjvvyi1.jpg

Taisho%20011_zpsobtpkwc1.jpg

Taisho%2006_zpsybzj8m0i.jpg

Taisho%20007_zpstm4araf8.jpg

Taisho%20009_zpsal4sstvq.jpg

Taisho%20010_zpse0yqijf6.jpg

Taisho%20001_zpse4gibrea.jpg

Last edited:
D

dougie

That is amazing. I take it the flowers and the patterns are decals but how the hell Did you do such amazing intricate paintwork? Did you have a wip thread that we can use for tips?

Simply beautiful

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
just stunning,would have to say one of the best I,have seen,leaves my work for dead,

just amazing,work on him all over the tones of his face are great,and the flower work is

so very well done,real lost for words,stunning so very well done, :D

Y

yellowcat

\ said:
That is amazing. I take it the flowers and the patterns are decals but how the hell Did you do such amazing intricate paintwork? Did you have a wip thread that we can use for tips?
Simply beautiful
Thank you for all your comments!

Regarding the flower pattern, this was layout on tracing paper. I first decided on the appropriate size and set the distance between the two flowers. I did couple rows of the flower pattern on tracing paper just to see the overall design. I then painted the first flower on the clothing with the least amount of folding. From there onward, I used the set distance and adjusted accordingly on different folds by eyeballing and lots and lots of patience. No stencil was used. All painted by freehand with a fine watercolor brush.

Here is the break down for painting the figure.

The figure was primed with white primer and painted in sections. Most parts of the figure were painted in artist oil. The helmet and armour plate was painted in black enamel. The different colour of lacings on the armour plate was a custom mixed of enamel to produce a satin finish. Same mixed was used for the red lacing with tassels on the back of the armour. The maedate/demon face and horns on the front of the helmet was airbrushed with metal plate brass and gold lacquer. Oil paint was used for all basic shadowing. The tachi sword scabbard was painted with gloss transparent orange enamel. The front chest armour, the two sides on the helmet and the upper inside of the arms armor plate were lined with soft leather. Cream color artist oil was used to duplicate these parts. Oil paint was also used for the arrows’ bamboo shaft and feathers.

Five minute epoxy and cyano glue was used to put the figure together. Then final and detail shadowing was added.

I went through my grey armies and I found this old drawing on parchment paper that I did for the chest armour and helmet pattern for this figure. I hope this would help you to put this complex figure together. Just let me know if you need any more information.

View attachment 120949

View attachment 120950

d5743133-a3da-4f61-9d02-cedaac4b287d_zps6rnpujle.jpg

Last edited:
D

dougie

thats is brilliant information, absolutely first class work there, can't believe its freehand not decals

D

dougie

\ said:
just stunning,would have to say one of the best I,have seen,leaves my work for dead,
just amazing,work on him all over the tones of his face are great,and the flower work is

so very well done,real lost for words,stunning so very well done, :D
not to blow smoke up yer ass but it doesn't leave yours for dead. I have to agree that this has properly blown me away, looking at the bigger pictures on photobucket is blowing me away but your work is also stunning. If I could paint like either of you my work would be so much better!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Great work, for those that do not know, this is a right lump very large too, made in the 70's and is white metal, great detail though and the paint job is excellent, nay-masterful. Well done!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
\ said:
not to blow smoke up yer ass but it doesn't leave yours for dead. I have to agree that this has properly blown me away, looking at the bigger pictures on photobucket is blowing me away but your work is also stunning. If I could paint like either of you my work would be so much better!
oh that's so surportive of you to say Dougie ,I do thank you for such kind comments and appreciate them as well, :D

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Detail is amazing in this, awesome paint work, especially as it is free hand.

P

Paul P

very nice work I remember buying this figure when it first came out, cost a fortune back then and I made a right hash of it :sad: