Need models help

S

samihg

I am new in modelling. But I am so facinated with the wood models of the old farm houses. I get most of the good collection of the needed tools from Dremel. I wonder anyone can help on the best way of how to start and which is th ebest wood glue used with such designed models. I will do only small models that may fit also train models. If anyone can send me photos of designs of old farm houses? I tried to search for certain books but in vein? I need help please. I use only wood.

B

Bunkerbarge

Hi Samihg and welcome to the forum. I think wood modelling is a fascinating area of the hobby and I use it a lot with model boats but I haven't yet applied it to houses. I imagine that obtaining a supply of stock wood cut to scale beam sizes would be usefull as you could then construct your models in exactly the same way as real traditional timber framed houses are made.

Have a look at this site for some ideas:

http://www.oakwrights.co.uk/

They manufacture and build modern timber framed houses so there are a lot of ideas to be had on thier web site. They may well even be able to put you in touch with other companies who might be able to help with older designs.

As for the glue, I have always used some form of white PVA woodworking glue such as "Resin W" or something similar. This is a superb glue for wood, dries clear, can be watered down, wipes clean with a cloth after applying and is very strong when set. It actually soaks into the grain of the wood while it dries and forms a superb bond.

J

jankers

Hi Samihg, welcome.

I can't really help with the subject but suggest you try looking at the Lilliput Lane range of pottery, as they do lots of cottages.

J.