needle size

M

markg

hi

I have an Iwata Eclips CS with a 0.35 needle and have just started getting some practice with it. Is there worth in trying a 0.5 needle also? I just wonder if 0.5mm is more suitable for acrylic paints and also if I move to 1:48 models from my current learning on 1:72

I appreciate I still have some learning to do so maybe it's premature to consider a needle change at this stage, but am still interested to know what needle size most use for "everyday" stuff.

I have discovered though that Tamiya paints are great to airbrush, for me anyway. They have so far, for me, been the easiest acrylic to use.

many thanks

Mark

T

tecdes

Mark

I started off with a .4 needle/nozzle on a Harder & Steenbeck.

Then I bought a .2 & .15 for finer work.

Since then I have kept with the .2 for all work including a Mosquito 1/48. Find that works perfectly for me.

Tried the .15 for really fine work but found it clogged. May be that was due to me not thinning enough. In fact I am positive.

One thing though try as I did all the combinations as it gives a clue as to what suits you & the finish achieved. As said thin the paint. I use Vallejo Acrylics & thin 1/3rd Acrylic thinners 2/3 paint.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Mark,

I use the same airbrush as you,with the 0.35mm needle,as my workhorse. I do mainly 1/32 scale which can be quite large. I find the Eclipse will do everything from fine camouflage demarcations upwards. Sometimes it takes a while to cover a large area,resisting the temptation to move too far away,but I've never felt the need to use a larger size.

I do often use enamel paints,infact I seem to be reverting to them more and more! This means it doesn't matter if it takes me half an hour to get a colour down,premature drying isn't a problem.

It sounds as if you've got the Tamiya paints working nicely through that brush so I'd be tempted to stick with it unless you find you are struggling to cover larger areas with your set up.

Cheers

Steve

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
When I got a .3mm for my CR I never went back to the .5mm and now I've got a .2mm I don't seem to have any problems and have never thought about getting a larger needle.

M

markg

as usual here, concise helpful replies, thanks guys. I try to avoid keep asking forum questions as I believe it's actually best to learn by experience and mistakes but in this case I wanted to save near-on £30 and I have :smiling3: so thankyou.

I have yet to experiment with enamels Steve, but my airbrush experience so far seems to reflect what I've read on here and other forums ( sorry John, I do read other forums :smiling3: ) and so I'm expecting to like enamels. I recently got a booth, so am keen to do my homework on the airbrush as up to now I have been hand-brushing. Regards the latter, I'm impressed with Vallejo model color, hence the order yesterday John :smiling3:

T

tecdes

Hi Mark

May be just a slip in the text but for air brushing Vallejo the best is Model Air.

Although Model is OK for brushing & airbrushing well diluted it is very thick for Airbrushing. A little bottle of Model is about twice the weight of the Model Air bottle.

Also use Vallejo thinners as it has acrylic resin in it. If you use water to any great extent for thinning it will dilute the acrylic resin in the paint thereby reducing the stickability.

For all about it http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/pdf_web/CC001.pdf. Apart from this PDF they do lots of other info & downloads.

Laurie

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I agree with Laurie. Vallejo Model Air is best for airbrushing and the eye dropper bottle saves a lot of hassle as well. Model Colour are good as well, best for hairy stick but well thinned with Vallejo thinners they are also fine in airbrush.

M

markg

thanks Laurie & Barry, but... it is with regard to hand-painting that I like the Model Color, I wouldn't use it in an airbrush. I have tried the Model Air in the airbrush and I like it.

I will get some Vallejo thinner as you suggest, so thanks for that.

Regards, Mark