Neil's Self-Sculpted 1/32 RAF Pilot

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I’ve decided to make a second entry into the BoB group build.
I wasn’t going to do this for the GB but I think it’s time this fella came out of the grey army and into the light of day.

The Battle of Britain has been a passion of mine since I was 11 and the movie came out, and this is a figure I sculpted for myself in 2012 with a view to possibly selling it as a master. I’ve had no takers (but I haven’t tried terribly hard, to be fair) -maybe it’s just that he isn’t good enough for people to spend their money on him.
I’m not fishing for compliments, by the way, so don’t feel obliged….
He’s mostly Milliput with some MagicSculpt.
1-32-Battle of Britain Pilot (21).JPG1-32-Battle of Britain Pilot (26).JPG

Recently a ‘potential’ buyer said they wished I hadn’t primed him as the surface is a bit lumpy, so I dunked him in the Dettol, and the right hand disintegrated.
So I’ve got to rebuild that for starters.

The drawback with him being intended as a master figure is that I can’t paint him,which wasn't a problem when I didn't do painting. But now that I’m not so afraid of painting I’ve decided to mould him myself anyway, and if anyone IS interested in buying him, so much the better .The right arm is already separated for casting, and now that I am seriously considering the mould-making process it occurs to me that I should probably separate the left arm as well. I also want to show his top button undone as signifying a fighter pilot. I know they didn’t all do it, but some definitely did.

stripped front.jpg
Stripped rear.jpg

I’ve already had one attempt at his hand with Duro and given up, but I’ve ordered some BeesPutty to try out so we’ll see how I get on with that.

Hand.jpg

Hands are very difficult to sculpt at any scale,never mind 1/32, so this might get abandoned, but doing it in public is a kind of spur to keep going. If I wasn’t still hoping to sell him I would use a hand from the spares box, but that would infringe copyright, so just in case, eh? Also I really have to get the mojo sky high to be sculpting so who knows how well it will go? But I have another sculpting project in the pipeline so hopefully they can keep each other going.

Still, as I haven’t done any surgery for a while, and I don’t have the BeesPutty yet, let’s take his left arm off!

Stay tuned , folks.............

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Neil - well that was a surprise :thumb2:

Looks pretty good - some of the creases could do with looking at again. Tricky subject creases - I have an entire book dedicated to them. Never realised there could be so many different types.

Some of the surface could do with refining just to tidy things up and smooth the surface before casting - don't forget that the rubber will pick up every little detail both good and bad. Such as the edges of the jacket lapels

Leave the left arm in place - it should cast in-situ with the torso

pm sent

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Cheers Simon
I can see the lumps and bumps now , especially in the enlarged images on the pc screen!
Yes, lapels are on the to-do list.
There is space between his arm and body, and I am planning a one piece mould so the arm really needs to come off for peace of mind. it's difficult enough cutting in between the legs without doing damage to the original, never mind in that inaccessible gap.
I'm also going to improve his hair.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning Neil,

I do all my moulding as one sided moulds and still think it would work with the arm in place

A thin 5/10thou fillet piece between the legs to keep the two sides of the mould separate then mould it so feet are at the top open end of the mould

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Neil,
Looks fabulous!!!! Is he based on any particular pilot?
Dave
Cheers Dave.
Yes, he is based on this picture of Denis Wissler of 17 Squadron
Denis Wissler.jpg
It's not intended as a portrait, I was just happy if the face looked recognizably human! Notice how his top button IS undone, which I missed at the time.
He died on 11 November 1940, aged no more than twenty years old. Tragically his fiance, Edith, was tracking the battle in the control room in Saffron Waldron and heard someone shouting that Blue Four was going into the sea.
Awful.

This is from Fighter Boys, by Patrick Bishop

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice Neil, funny how some like me misses the finer points that Simon sees. Mind when it comes to castings he's good.
Sad end the the post, poor woman to hear that must have been terrible .

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks Chaps! :thumb2:
It might be a while- I've got a shed-load of real life happening at the moment.
but thanks for your interest

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Neil

I've never seen someone sculpt theur own figure before. That is amazing, you're clearly a very talented individual.

Good luck with moulding.

ATB

Andrew

First Name
Andrew
Wow Neil,
He‘s fantastic!! Really love him!
(I too have been a bit distracted from here celebrating my Sixtieth birthday with socially distanced family. Lots of fun together.)
Following this with eager attention now! Us old farts have to take things slowly!
Andy

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Wow Neil,
He‘s fantastic!! Really love him!
(I too have been a bit distracted from here celebrating my Sixtieth birthday with socially distanced family. Lots of fun together.)
Following this with eager attention now! Us old farts have to take things slowly!
Andy
Congratulations old man :smiling5:
And thank you