New Bedford Whaler - circa 1835

C

Caledonia

That's really nice Ron, beginning to look the business.

When I was in WH Smith a fortnight ago there was a photo on the cover of a Magazine, not sure if it was Modelling Magazine or Miniature Modelling Magazine showing a ship like your, and with tattered sails. Went in again to Smiths yesterday but it was gone, sorry I didn't get it to show you. Would have looked gret for what you are planning. Derek

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That was quick!

Looks really good so far and the overscale ratlines are blending in with no problems. Just goes to show that kits do not have to be absolutely 100% accurate in scale to look right - something that's been discussed here many times when talking about panel lines and hard/soft camouflage edges..

What did you use for the rigging?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
This is looking amazing Ron , all the more because of its diminutive size. Loving the copper bottom effect and the rigging really brings it to life . Cant wait to see the finished article , dont forget to add the scratchbuilt 1/200 scale bucket too!! cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps....

Derek, I appreciate the thought and thanks for trying to get a copy of the mag.

Dave, the standing rigging is the black twine included in the kit - almost miniature polypropylene to look at.

The running rigging is that thin stuff the fishermen tie the bait on with. then painted beige.

Tony, one bucket locked in the memory!

Apart from a bit of tweeking, I've finally finished the rigging. There was very little instructions for the standing rigging and none for the running, so I've used a bit of licence and a wee bit of knowledge from my sailing days and I've done the best I can....

Here is the standing rigging.

New Bedford Whaler 072.jpg

The running....some baggy, on purpose - honest!

New Bedford Whaler 071.jpg

A couple of general shots. Minus the remaining ratlines.

New Bedford Whaler 070.jpg

New Bedford Whaler 069.jpg

...and the ratlines completed

New Bedford Whaler 074.jpg

Next up I'll do the ships cutter's davits and start work on fitting out the five cutters themselves. Also, I'll see if any more rigging is required.

Thanks,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Caledonia

That looks a really nice kit Ron, it is really taking shape. Derek

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Derek and Ian. Good to see you're still hanging on in....

Last night I fitted and painted the five sets of boat davits and added the anchor - minus any rope work for them all.

New Bedford Whaler 079.jpg

New Bedford Whaler 080.jpg

The anchor.

New Bedford Whaler.jpg

Next I will fit out the five cutters with oars and harpoons plus ropes.

Cheers,

Ron

D

dubster72

Hats off to your attention to detail Ron! I'd never have the patience or skill

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Following this one closely Ron I have 5 boats in my stash to do so will be using some of your techinques on these when I eventually get round to doing them

Colin

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Patrick. Patience is being sorely tried and as for skill, there's plenty of that on S.M.

Colin, Don't take too much notice, this is my first attempt at a 'proper' sailing vessel, so I'm learning as I go along......

O.K., I've started fitting out the 5 cutters.

For the oars I used thin electric wire and flattened the ends in a vice, then filed the oar blades to shape.

The harpoon is done in the same way.

The rudder is thin plastic card.

The harpoon rope is sewing cotton wrapped around a cocktail stick, glued, then quickly removed from the stick!

You will notice the paintwork is a bit hit and miss...I figured that after a couple of years at sea, the gear would be a bit worse for wear, to say the least.

Here is one of the wee cutters.

New Bedford Whaler 088.jpg

New Bedford Whaler 087.jpg

Cheers all,

Ron

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Blimey Ron........... That is absolutely, a real cracker mate. A superbly rigged ship. I love it.

D

dubster72

Ha-ha you're just kidding us Ron! That finger is really the size of a tree trunk ;)

T

treyzx10r

Wow Ron my eyes hurt just looking at this! Amazing the detail you are pulling off in such a tiny scale.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your input boys. All good stuff....

New Bedford Whaler 090.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I don't know what has happened to the above, but there should have been more pictures with it!

The previous single picture shows one of the cutters in position with it's ropework for lowering and hauling back up again...

Here are the two starboard cutters - fixed and rigged.

New Bedford Whaler 092.jpg

The three port ones - only the middle one is permanent.

New Bedford Whaler 093.jpg

A seagull's view.

New Bedford Whaler 094.jpg

Nearly there now. Just a few bits and bobs to do. On reflection, I think I might touch up the gear in the cutters. They are possibly a bit too shabby and worn.

Thanks for looking.

Ron

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Cracking work Ron, had to call back and see this. Glad I did, so small, so much detail, soooooooooo good.

Top work.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Ha-ha you're just kidding us Ron! That finger is really the size of a tree trunk ;)
Have you not met our Ron then Patrick? In reality he's 250ft tall with fingers the size of tree trunks! That's what makes his builds look so marvellous - he just puts his hand down on the lawn of a real building and Justine takes a picture from a helicopter. That's obviously a real rowboat he's picked up from somewhere.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your great comments Si. Good to see you are able to wander in here and post. I hope this means you are feeling a bit better old mate?

Dave, thanks for your input too. Whilst we were up in the helicopter, we joined the 'Mile High Club' too!!!!!

Right, I need a break from the titchy boat, and as the weather here is awful, I've made a start on the harbour.

Here I have stuck three pieces of scrap polystyrene packing together. Because I need the full hull I had to double thickness the water to accomodate the extra depth. The other piece is obviously the harbour wall.

New Bedford Whaler 095.jpg

I marked around the hull and then scribed around the lines with a scalpel.

New Bedford Whaler 096.jpg

I try and get as big pieces out as I can - It makes clearing up so much easier for the wife!

New Bedford Whaler 098.jpg

The whaler let in and up against the harbour wall.

New Bedford Whaler 100.jpg

I then simply slurried some cheap acrylic paint all over the base.

New Bedford Whaler 103.jpg

Next up?.....I really haven't a clue, I never plan, just have a starter idea in my nut and see what comes along. Your guess is a good as mine, but I have had one heck of a pleasant 'Happy Accident! More about that later......

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator: