new dio a 1.24 mosquito

W

wellsyman

Hello everybody am starting a new diorama a airfix 1.24 mosquito, I need hope tho . Am thinking off doing it as a cut out so showing the inside off the wings body and tail so a lot off scratch building the frames any idea how to build the frames and Wht to do for the diorama thanks Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not sure how a cut away will go in a diorama, but you can get quite a few add on sets for the big mossy these days, So I would go that rout. Open all the panels you can and get the gubbins to go inside the hatches and have a mantainace crew at work.

One way you might get your cut away in to a dio would be to show one being rebuilt/restored.

I only see one real problem and it is the same reason I have not bagged a 1/24 mossy. ITS HUGE! If you are also going for a diorama, to get any thing near workable you are looking at a base the size of a dinner table!

I saw some good photos on t'interweb yesterday, I will see if I can find them again.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That was quicker than I thought it would be.

Victoria Air Maintenance Ltd. - Total Repair, Overhaul and Major Rebuild Service » Projects The mossy project starts about half way down the page....

Ian M

W

wellsyman

Thanks Ian I know its a big kit but a lot of detail and. your right about the cut out its Going to be a lot off work and as for men around the plane working on it .I think every body done tht . I want to do some think diffrent and thanks for the link I will have a look now cheers Steve

W

wellsyman

And if I was doing a dio of the mosquito in a factor being assemble and I build a corner of the factor how high would I have to build the walls ?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Can u buy the mosquito in 1.32 ?
If you are lucky you might pick one up on ebay, they are rare an thus silly money. I saw one this morning 5days left. 22 bids and the price was just off 50 quid..

I hear rumors that A firm is working on a new 1/32 scale one, I think they where called XL Wings or something.

As for for the height of the walls, no idea! High enough that the aircraft can be there and room to lift it around in....?

Ian M

W

wellsyman

Thanks again Ian 1.32 would be better if not it will be in 1.24

W

wellsyman

Thanks again . 1.32 would be better if not 1.24 it will be

W

wellsyman

Sorry I thought I sent the first message wen I sent it . It come up I didnt so sent it again and now there two message sorry

W

wellsyman

hi can anyone find pics off a factory where mosquito was built so i have a idea wht am building thanks :smiling3:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Wellsyman about the walls if its o dio you would get away with building the walls just higher than the mossy and not full size and the two sides just longer than the plane and equipment being used if you can understand what i mean

First Name
Dave
I think the 1/32 Mosquito Ian is refering to is the one produced by Revell many years ago.I remember being given the kit for xmas sometime in the early 1970's.I wonder why Revell dont sell it anymore?.They still do the Beaufighter and ME110 in 1/32 and they came out round about the same time as the mossie.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
If you type either....Mosquito factory or Mosquito factory Hatfield, into Google images there are some good pictures on there.

Hope this is of some help.

Ron

E

Edgar Brooks

I fear that you will struggle with what you're looking for; the wings were built in one piece, wingtip to wingtip, with the top and bottom covered by sheets of plywood screwed into place (with hundreds of brass screws,) then covered with fabric, doped into place (by hand.) The fuselage was completely kitted out, in two halves (just like a model,) then the halves were joined, and also completely covered with fabric, leaving a cut-out, which fitted over the wings. There was only the radio hatch and crew access door, in the fuselage, and all of the wing access points were underneath, leaving only the engines accessible from above.

Regarding 1/32, there are plans for a company, named Wings XL, to produce a 1/32 Mosquito, but there's no date fixed, so it's unlikely to appear before next year.

Edgar

W

wellsyman

Thanks i knew most of that but it will be nice to give it a shoot cheers steve

I

ian lanc

Hit the buy it now button for this mossie, its in canada but cheap.............

REVELL 1/32ND DEHAVILLAND MOSQUITO MKIV MODEL KIT.includes VAC clear parts | eBay