new need help with clear coat

G

gbetteley

Hello all,

New to this forum. I was wondering if anyone could help me find a suitable clear coat to use. On my model it was painted using Tamiya laquer spray it also has alot of decals. The paint job turned out great also the decals the last thing I want is to mess it up using the wrong clear coat.

I was going to use the Tamiya TS13 until I researched and heard it is not decal freindly. Then I picked up some Model Masters enamel top coat not sure if this will work or not. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

T

tecdes

Morning Ggbetteley & welcome to this forum. Hope you feel at home here.

Cannot answer you problem but !

Found it interesting & searched with TAMIYA LAQUER CLEARCOAT in google & came up with a whole farm of replies. Hope this may be of use.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You can use either the hobbyists standard; Johnson's klear or any acrylic clear coat such as Vallejo's which is found in glossy, satin or matt finishes. All are fine over decals

Ian M

A

AVB99

Ggbetteley - if you decide to try Johnson's Klear and cannot find it I have two bottle and will willingly send you one in the UK. I've had it with the product though most guys on the forum swear by it.

Aidan

G

gbetteley

Thanks for all of your help. I decided to use Alclad 2 Klear coat I tried it on a model that I messed up on and had no issues using it over Tamiya laquer paint and decals.

Thanks again

N

noble

\ said:
Hello all,New to this forum. I was wondering if anyone could help me find a suitable clear coat to use. On my model it was painted using Tamiya laquer spray it also has alot of decals. The paint job turned out great also the decals the last thing I want is to mess it up using the wrong clear coat.

I was going to use the Tamiya TS13 until I researched and heard it is not decal freindly. Then I picked up some Model Masters enamel top coat not sure if this will work or not. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
I use johnsons klear as a clear coat it brushes on, is self leveling and you don't get brush marks, you can buy it from the supermarket.

scott