New to model Spray Guns

First Name
Eric
I have just brought a model spray gun to try my hand at it to my model Painting. But I have come up against my first hurdle.
They say use 1-1 in equal measures of paint ( Which I use Tamiya Acrylic ) and water well the little dripper they give you with the Gun which I presume is for measuring the amount of paint/ Water when I put the dipper in the paint it sucks it up ok but put into a small cup the dripper the paint come out very slowly drip drip. I think it should come out a bit faster than that is it because the Paint in the jar is to thick and I should Dilute it I have never used Acrylic Paint before I have only used oils enamel paint with brush . So how do you guys measure your paints what device do you use. Do I dilute the whole of the paint in the jar it came in or what? Thanks for helping me out to a newbie to this spray gun lark

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I usually dilute the whole of the jar of Tamiya acrylics, but not with water, better to use their X-20A thinner. The ideal consistency is usually described as "like milk". Whether that's skimmed milk or full fat Jersey isn't stated! About 50:50 is probably OK, maybe a little thicker (more paint).
I'm assuming that your "spray gun" is an airbrush? What compressor are you using?
Pete

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Consistency of UHT milk from the carton, 15-20 psd for air and spray at a distance where paint on surface is wet and dries as you go past. Not too close or it pools. Not too far or it dries before touching the surface. Practice on a plastic spoon till you get comfortable. The mixture and air also depends on how sharp and close you want to get to the surface...obviously thinner paint and lesser air gets you closer till your needle almost touches the surface.
If you're using a spray gun then forget thin lines...basically used for large coverages.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Eric
I usually dilute the whole of the jar of Tamiya acrylics, but not with water, better to use their X-20A thinner. The ideal consistency is usually described as "like milk". Whether that's skimmed milk or full fat Jersey isn't stated! About 50:50 is probably OK, maybe a little thicker (more paint).
I'm assuming that your "spray gun" is an airbrush? What compressor are you using?
Pete
This is the Air Brush I brought amazon.co.uk/Elikliv-Dual-Action-Rechargeable-Compressor-Decoration/dp/B089FB37JF/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1JSV3KO9I2VXQ&keywords=portable%2Bairbrush&qid=1658918882&s=kitchen&sprefix=potable%2Bair%2Bbrush%2Ckitchen%2C71&sr=1
If I do not wish to use whole jar of paint could I use part paint / thinners and cut down on the on the dipper so it makes the hole bigger. Thank You, Pete & Richard for the advice by the way I have brought the Tamiya X-20A Thinner and I have this Flow enhancer as well made Rowney. Cheers Eric

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
That's not an airbrush I would have recommended, but only because I don't know how well they work. The reviews on Amazon are pretty mixed.
Yes, you could mix the paint and thinners in a small container if you want. By 'dipper' do you mean the plastic pipette with the squeezy bulb? You shouldn't need to cut it down, but it's yours, you can if you want! Is it partly blocked?
You shouldn't need the flow enhancer with thinned Tamiya paint, and it might affect the drying.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
That's a real can of worms Eric!
Personally I couldn't get along with a couple of cheapo Chinese airbrushes, in part due to my lack of experience so, having a pension lump sum available, I splashed out on a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity 2 in 1, which I see has nearly doubled in price since I bought it. https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/in...sh-0-2mm-0-4mm-harder-steenbeck-126594-p3739/
I know now that when I mess up it isn't the airbrush's fault. There are people on here though who get along just fine with the cheapo generic airbrushes.
My compressor is an AS-186S, which many people seem to use: https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/sc...h-compressor-with-cooling-fan-as-186s-p17369/ There are many variants of this model, all much the same.
It's quite likely that once you get the thinning right, that airbrush you have will do a good job so I wouldn't throw it out just yet!
Pete