new to the hobby - looking for best airbrush. compressor kit

First Name
Stephen
Hi

I am looking for advice for an airbrush/compressor kit (Gravity feed). I will use if for very fine work, including using paints such Moltow chrome on fine chrome detail.

the item will only be used infrequently.

any suggestions for affordable / quality kit?, and where to source it?

Stephen

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
That depends if you like marmite or not.....
I would say get a fengda compressor coupled with a H&S Ultra 2in1 and make sure you get a braided airline.
Others will tell you different, but they will be wrong....... :tongue-out2:

First Name
Stephen
That depends if you like marmite or not.....
I would say get a fengda compressor coupled with a H&S Ultra 2in1 and make sure you get a braided airline.
Others will tell you different, but they will be wrong....... :tongue-out2:
Thanks. any suggestion for the Fengda compressor - they make a lot!

S

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Would be easier to advise if you gave a ball park figure of a budget.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Personally, i'd say an AS186 compressor and a H&S or Iwata airbrush

First Name
Stephen
AS186 and the H&S ultra 2in1 seem to be perfect. best place to buy in the UK?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I would agree with the AS186 compressor and a H&S, as you have a sensible budget. Your reference to using it for fine work should, perhaps, push you upmarket towards the £200 mark for the airbrush. Use Google and look at reviews.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Been using a AS186 for many years of trouble free air - I've used all sorts of airbrushes, from really cheap Chinese models ( I still use a £12 model for primer & basecoat! ) to the Iwata Neo and it's not necessarily the most expensive a/b is the best, it's how you use it - practice, practise and yet more practice will give you the best idea of what you can achieve, and limitations!
As a suggestion - buy quick release couplings for airbrush to hose - it makes things much easier when cleaning & storing
Dave.

First Name
Nonny
I have had dealings with Bartsharp As have others on this site. My queries and purchases were handled professionally and quickly. Might be worth a look.

unfortunately it seems they may have a covid problem ?

Rgds

I have had dealings with Bartsharp As have others on this site. My queries and purchases were handled professionally and quickly. Might be worth a look.

unfortunately it seems they may have a covid problem ?

Rgds
My apologies, I did not realise this forum is hosted by a model shop selling air brush equipment. Try here first !

rgds

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Noel
I have a couple of old Badger Airbrushes that have served me well for many years.
Back in the 70's they were the 'go to' airbrush marketed at the time. They are still going strong and have a UK distributor Barwell. Modellers of a certain age might remember Morris and Ingram down in Poole who were their first distributor. The Badger is still a very well made airbrush as is the Paasch but they seem to have dropped out of favour for the Iwata plus Harder and Steenbeck brands.

Reactions: mog

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John

mog

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I use an H&S ultra , good brush, good company, however I'm also going back to Badger to have a single action brush for better control on smaller items.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Got to agree with Barry. I have that set up (AS 186 and H&S Ultra) and find it simple to use, but it has taken me a while to develop a routine for cleaning it afterwards.

The ultrasonic cleaner I bought from John fairly recently has proved a Godsend by eliminating all the problems I had with my cleaning routine. I used to use wipes, cotton buds, a nozzle reamer, a small brush and a range of cleaners depending on the paint I used, and clean each bit separately - a lot of faffing around.

Now it takes me 30 seconds to strip my brush down (taking the needle out from the front to stop dragging paint back into the main body which used to cause me endless problems!!) and put everything into the cleaner, add water and a squirt of hand soap, two 3-minute cycles and 30 seconds to reassemble my A/B and I'm done - ready for the next job.

mog

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Dave , Ya know my main draw back on the Ultra was the cleaning, way too much clogging even with thinned or Vallejo air paint. I have an ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning 3D parts, but never thought to use it on the AB , will defiantly give it a try