New World War Two modeller

First Name
Dan
Hello everyone. My names Dan. New to the modelling world but quite knowledgable about WW2 growing up since a kid now aged over 30. I fly RC Planes as a hobby and always been interested in scale models and the patience and details that go into it to make them come to life. I managed to pick up a really cheap by internet standards ‘Wittmans Last Tiger’ kit 1/35. So im looking forward to getting started. And any tips and advice appreciated. Especially to do with paint techniques, glueing and building better. Also seen a lot of talk about primer and stuff for the tanks, Red Oxide I think it’s called. It had me abit confused as was looking at tank models which where primed grey etc. Anyway, thanks everyone.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Welcome to the forum Dan, all I would say is practice the basics first and start with simple wearthering techniques etc and dont be disheartened if you get something wrong cos we all do,especially me :tongue-out3:

First Name
Dan
Hi Dan
Welcome to a great forum. As for tips - Jakko's number 1 is most important. My advice is take your time, study the instructions and dry fit before glueing.
Jim
Hi Jim. Is dry fit tricky or simple lol? With glue they are glued but I presume to dry fit it’s just laying on a mat in correct position according to plans to see a airtight fit is it?

First Name
Dan
Welcome to the forum Dan, all I would say is practice the basics first and start with simple wearthering techniques etc and dont be disheartened if you get something wrong cos we all do,especially me :tongue-out3:
Hi Mark. Would you say YouTube is great for weathering techniques along with this site to learn from?

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi Mark. Would you say YouTube is great for weathering techniques along with this site to learn from?
There are some great tutorials on you tube, I would search for some thing along the lines of easy tips for beginners, pick maybe one or two guys you like and stick with the technique, it's easy to become totally confused with all the different methods and materials available, information overload!!
Any specific questions you may have will more than likely be answered by someone on the forum, there's many here with excellent knowledge and are more than happy to share it.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Dan welcome to the best forum goin i think an i see you fly R/C PLANES do you have any mate's that you fly with as im out to buy a cam belt drive for eletric flight so do you know anyone that has one for sale as i use them in my ships made by MFA but they they dont make them any more so can you help me picture of the one i want it plastic an takes a 540 motor

chrisb
IMG_5510.JPG

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dan
All I mean by 'dry fitting' is checking the parts fit well before glueing them. On most kits the parts need a little fettling to get them to fit nicely. This is especially true for large parts such as aeroplane fuselage halves. Often it is just a tiny area that is preventing parts joining perfectly and a few minutes spent with a sanding stick will make all the difference.
As for good YouTube videos. Two I can recommend are Night Shift and Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site. Steve is actually a member of this forum.
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome aboard Dan!!

Take your time and remember this is supposed to be fun. On the YouTube front Plasmo is also very good.

ATB.

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Dan, glad yer here..........Have fun and don't hesitate to ask questions, there's only a couple thousand years of experience on here so chances are there will be an answer out there somewhere. ;)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Dan, glad yer here..........Have fun and don't hesitate to ask questions, there's only a couple thousand years of experience on here so chances are there will be an answer out there somewhere. ;)
And if not, we will just wing it and make it sound like we're know what we're talking about!;)

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dan,
welcome to the forum! Tips & advice? ask away - questions are free, and if they can save you from making errors that we have all made in the past, great. In case you hadn't noticed the forum caters for all genres of model making, take a look around, you might be inspired to try something different
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
He means holding the parts together as they will be glued, but without any glue. This will tell you if they fit correctly, or if you need to do things like scrape/file/sand the join a little so they fit better, or maybe it will show that a locating pin doesn’t fit in the hole that it should (so you would need to cut off the pin, thin down the pin or drill out the hole), or perhaps you find that one part fouls another, etc. Dry-fitting the parts without glue will avoid all kinds of minor problems like these.

For larger parts, or if you need to fit more than two or three together, using a few bits of tape, elastic bands, clothespins or similar will help hold them in position if it gets too complicated for two hands.