No air!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi guys. Just a quickie. I have the new 2024 Ultra A/B. I've fitted it with a 0.4 needle and nozzle with a pinch tip. I tried spraying with it yesterday and got no air. I checked the hose fitting and trigger which seem to work fine. I cleaned out both the nozzle and pinch tip with a reamer but when I reassembled the A/B I got no air at all through it - even without the needle in place. Any thoughts?

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Sounds like the valve has stuck (the bit your hose goes in) have you checked that?

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Did the trigger come out when you swapped the needle? Even slightly?

If they are anything like previous models the trigger can take a bit of jiggling to get in correctly. I've had it a few times with my infinity, it looks perfectly fine but the plunger part under the trigger hasn't quite gone where it needs to go, so doesn't actuate the air valve.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Did the trigger come out when you swapped the needle? Even slightly?

If they are anything like previous models the trigger can take a bit of jiggling to get in correctly. I've had it a few times with my infinity, it looks perfectly fine but the plunger part under the trigger hasn't quite gone where it needs to go, so doesn't actuate the air valve.
Agree with Andy. I have the 2024 Ultra. Remove the needle then the trigger, and use a toothpick or the like, check the small brass looking plunger. Also, if the trigger isn't sitting correctly on the plunger OR if the - 'don't know what it's called, but its the horizontal piece that fits into the trigger from the rear, if that doesn't sit in the rear of the trigger correctly, (where the slot is), I have had a few niggles with that.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I did all the checks you guys suggested and still got nothing.

Then I looked at the nozzle caps. I tried an ordinary cap and it worked. Then I tried a different pinch tip cap and that worked. I can only conclude I must have put the wrong pinch tip on - maybe a 0.2 instead of a 0.4 - even though I can't see how that would stop the air. Anyway, back in working order now thanks.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Are you putting a different size needle and nozzle in rather than the one it comes with?

you can’t change the needle size on them, the nozzle cap is a 0.45mm slightly bigger to stop blocking, changing the needle and nozzle size defeats the purpose why the Ultra was made

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
The joys of airbrushing, can you remember when you first read the blurb about how easy it was to use, about how you could achieve all of those fantastic shapes and finishes with just a few squirts of the trigger.... Running down to the model shop that has just closed for the night because your can of air has gasped its last gasp and collapsing like a wet rag in the doorway....
Then came the practice, this was where you attempted to draw ever narrower lines, put a cross in a box, draw 'worm' shapes and practice and practice... and just when you had finished your practice session, mixed up your colour, poured the mix into the glass jar pressed the trigger and there was no air in the can and it was a Sunday night......

If I change my needle size I always strip down the airbrush first and put the removed items in the box, then I take the new ones to be added and fit those.... Sound advice, good work practice, and something I still need to learn....

Dave, meet a fellow sufferer.....

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Are you putting a different size needle and nozzle in rather than the one it comes with?

you can’t change the needle size on them, the nozzle cap is a 0.45mm slightly bigger to stop blocking, changing the needle and nozzle size defeats the purpose why the Ultra was made
Plus, according to H&S, as you probably know, the shape of the new .45 offers better detail and finer lines than the previous 0.4, so changing to that would be another backwards step.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Alas, I've got all my air caps, nozzles etc in the same box so it's quite probable I got them mixed up. Are they labelled or marked in any way so I can tell them apart? I know some are marked with grooves but are there any other identifying features?

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
The ultra 4.5 needle has four bumps at the end. As for the nozzle ends!! I wouldn’t know - I only have the one a/b so mixing up isn’t an issue for me.