Non-model related paint advice needed.

D

delmonteman

Nothing at all to do with models but thought a couple of you on here may be able to help. My bike helmet's started to look a bit crappy & I had the "wonderful" idea of painting it. Trouble is, I don't know what type of paint would be best. It's a fibreglass shell and ideally, I don't want to buy car rattle cans as I'm going to try and do a "maverick" off TopGun with a subtle change - Gav-erick! Theres a few coulours in this & masking up for the rattle cans will be a proper ball-ache.

Thanks in advance,

Gav.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
OK I will say what a lot of people are thinking: If your lid is looking that ratty maybe its time to buy a new one. You have only one head and I hear they are quite important.

Safety rant over.

If you have and air brush I would say just use any thing that will not react with the existing paint then loads of clear coats. When its all nice and shiny put in on the shelf and go buy a new one!!!

I know that all the racers have custom domes, but they are factory jobs and they know exactly what they are doing; Not a dig at your painting skills, just a comment that they have the right paints, the right lacquer and the bonus of knowing which paint will not compromise the strength of the helmet.

Ian M

R

Richy C

Hi Gav , I use to race karts at MSA level and used to belong to a karting forum called uk karting and this question was bought up many times ie- painting or spraying your own helmet , from what I learnt doing your own helmet is a big no no , unless you do it with the correct paint which is well expensive, but you still have to know what your doing , hence why getting a custom job on a helmet is so expensive

Please don`t try it , your crash helmet could end up being nothing but an eggshell and your head is gonna be in it , I had a proper Bell race helmet and was always advised don`t even put a sticker on it as the glue could react with the helmet and make it weaker ,

Bottom line is - if your current helmet is looking that rough get a new one mate , you only get one head

Richy

R

Richy C

Just beat me to it Ian , but a new helmet is needed

Richy

D

delmonteman

Thank for the concern lads. The helmet's only about 18mth old and is in perfect nick (I always replace 'em after 3yrs whether they've been down the road or not). I bought it in a matte black, so it's just the finish that's had a bit of a battering and now looks a bit crummy. I knew that painting older/plastic lids is a big no-no but I seem to remember hearing that fibreglass is OK. I could be wrong (won't be the first time). That's the reason I asked.

Nice to know I'm loved though!!!

Ta,

Gav.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have seen a Simpsons Star wars split in two, right down the line where the owner had painted the top of his black helmet Day glow red!........ I still miss him a bit.

Ian M