Non slip patches

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hello you fine bunch of people, I've come to pick your brains. What do you guys use to represent the non slip patches on modern armour.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Never done it - but how about very fine emery paper, cut to shape & contact glued in place?
Dave

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Paul.
If required, mark out the area with a pencil.
Carefully brush same with diluted PVA.
Sprinkle silver sand (or any fine grit) through a sieve over area. Go easy, just cover the area lightly.
Invert piece.
Tap same.
Turn piece right way up.
Allow to dry and then paint.

Works every time and dead easy.

When I built my narrow boat I was shown this method of applying nonslip. Obviously in a much bigger scale than a small model, but the principle is the same. I've done it a few times with a kit and it really works.....and goes rock hard too!

I hope the above is of some use to you. Have a practice first, perhaps?

Ron

Last edited:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Paul.
If required, mark out the area with a pencil.
Carefully brush same with diluted PVA.
Sprinkle silver sand (or any fine grit) through a sieve over area. Go easy, just cover the area lightly.
Invert piece.
Tap same.
Turn piece right way up.
Allow to dry and then paint.

Works every time and dead easy.
Hi Ron I will give that a try thank you.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Paul, I've just remembered. Budgie grit from a pet supplies is also a very fine grade and can be bought in smaller amounts than the sand I mentioned. You will have to sieve it though, to removed the oyster shells that are usually present in the mix. This grit is finer than silver sand and might be more to scale.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Paul, I've just remembered. Budgie grit from a pet supplies is also a very fine grade and can be bought in smaller amounts than the sand I mentioned. You will have to sieve it though, to removed the oyster shells that are usually present in the mix. This grit is finer than silver sand and might be more to scale.
Cheers for that Ron.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Paul, you might just have something suitable in your 'Diorama' ground cover stash?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think Ammo/Mig have a non-slip paint in their range

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Not telling you.....:tongue-out2:
Oh! alright then.
Before you start apply masking tape or fluid to the parts you are going to work on so that the paste does not spoil the other surrounding area.
I use two methods...
1, I use the non slip paste from Mig Anti Slip but on my 1/35 I use the 1/72/48 A.MIG-2034. and a small cut down paint brush to apply it in a dabbing motion. I put a blob onto so scrap plastic and dip the brush into it and then apply it to the model.
This is for the non slip I use on my US vehicles.
20240420_100057_HDR.jpg
20240420_100548_HDR.jpg
2, For my IDF vehicles I use the same paste but for 1/35 A.MIG-2035, is it slightly coarser and with that I also use a fine sand or the dust from a sand blasting machine that I 'liberated' some years ago. This gives the 'marbled' effect, but applied in the same way except that I sprinkle the 'dust' on before the paste dries. Give it a couple of minutes to settle and then turn the model over and give it a few taps to remove the loose 'dust'.
20240420_101835_HDR.jpg
And once happy with the area then move onto another area giving the one you have just applied time to dry.
VMS have brought out their version which comes with a glue which you brush on and then sprinkle the 'sand' over the still wet area. They do some videos on how to apply their products as they also have one that you can spray on through your airbrush - I have yet to use them but have given them a try except for the spray one.
Then once dry and all masking removed you can prime and paint as normal.
The 'dust'
20240420_101643_HDR.jpg
At the top is the 'sand' (egg timer size) and at the bottom the dust from the sand blaster after putting it through a sieve.
And the products I use/will be using...
20240420_095442_HDR.jpg
With the cut down brush.

Any questions just ask,
Mike.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Not telling you.....:tongue-out2:
Oh! alright then.
Before you start apply masking tape or fluid to the parts you are going to work on so that the paste does not spoil the other surrounding area.
I use two methods...
1, I use the non slip paste from Mig Anti Slip but on my 1/35 I use the 1/72/48 A.MIG-2034. and a small cut down paint brush to apply it in a dabbing motion. I put a blob onto so scrap plastic and dip the brush into it and then apply it to the model.
This is for the non slip I use on my US vehicles.
View attachment 506909
View attachment 506910
2, For my IDF vehicles I use the same paste but for 1/35 A.MIG-2035, is it slightly coarser and with that I also use a fine sand or the dust from a sand blasting machine that I 'liberated' some years ago. This gives the 'marbled' effect, but applied in the same way except that I sprinkle the 'dust' on before the paste dries. Give it a couple of minutes to settle and then turn the model over and give it a few taps to remove the loose 'dust'.
View attachment 506911
And once happy with the area then move onto another area giving the one you have just applied time to dry.
VMS have brought out their version which comes with a glue which you brush on and then sprinkle the 'sand' over the still wet area. They do some videos on how to apply their products as they also have one that you can spray on through your airbrush - I have yet to use them but have given them a try except for the spray one.
Then once dry and all masking removed you can prime and paint as normal.
The 'dust'
View attachment 506912
At the top is the 'sand' (egg timer size) and at the bottom the dust from the sand blaster after putting it through a sieve.
And the products I use/will be using...
View attachment 506913
With the cut down brush.

Any questions just ask,
Mike.
Thanks mate I have found some really fine sand and will give that a try first.