noob needs help

U

uncleglenny19

hey everyone, recently returned to the hobby and got i few questions i'm working on a 1/35 hasegawa fw109 and I'm wondering about painting engine detail I have testors enamels and tamiya acrylics, I'm wondering how do i paint all those fine details on the engine

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I paint most engine details with a fine brush and a magnifier,aided by a good slice of patience and frequent cups of tea.

Some parts like fluid reservoirs,exhaust pipes,or ignition harnesses (sometimes) can be added later but generally there is no easy way.

I dirty everything up with a nice oily wash once I'm happy.

I'm not sure if you are doing a Bf109 (with a mostly black,inverted V-12,liquid cooled,Daimler Benz engine) or a Fw190 (with a mostly aluminium,radial,air cooled,BMW engine) but the same principles apply. There are plenty of online images of both and if you are stuck for any detail I will probably be able to help you out.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Michael
Hi, like Steve says a fine brush and patience. Its not really a bother I'm sure you'll find you enjoy it and will be surprised at what you can achive.

Good luck with it and post some pics if you like we would love to see. M

U

uncleglenny19

well thanks everyone, I dont know bout posting pics after seeing some of the work thats being done afraid my work looks kinda primary, do i have to spray the engine with clear before i do a wash?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
do i have to spray the engine with clear before i do a wash?
That would depend on what you are painting with and what sort of wash you want to apply.

Cheers

Steve

U

uncleglenny19

well i've used enamel and acrylic to do my engine was gonna do a wash to dirty it up some

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
If you are going to use an oil based wash I would suggest sealing the paint in.The oil's solvent might well damage the enamel paint finish.

If you are going to use a water based type of wash you should be okay.

Cheers

Steve

U

uncleglenny19

\ said:
If you are going to use an oil based wash I would suggest sealing the paint in.The oil's solvent might well damage the enamel paint finish.If you are going to use a water based type of wash you should be okay.

Cheers

Steve
could you suggest a recipe for a water based wash? this is all still new to me, i do appreciate everyone's help

B

Brian'sUsername

I have had success using a Pastel chalk/water/dishwashing soap wash. Here is a good video guide:

Also being water based, you wouldn't need to use a clear coat first. I would suggest using the second technique shown in the video. Good luck.

Brian