Northrop XB-35 Flying Wing 1/72 AMT/ERTL

T

treyzx10r

I had to build this even though I do'nt do 1/72 scale its the only game in town. The Kit is HUGE and is taxing my work space already!!! The dry fit of the major structure looks promising no obvious fit issues yet

Lots of ejector pin holes to fill ,some in difficult areas across detail lines. The office had some that probably would'nt be seen but I filled them anyway

The molded office detail is pretty good especially considering the scale,did my best to do it justice. Not a lot of reference data for the interior but all that I did find agree the interior was natural aluminum. I used Krylon matte aluminum spray and it wound up being really glossy(mislabeled?) .I gave it a wash of devlan mud then toned that down with alcohol on a swab followed by a coat of Testors Dullcote

Office ready to install

A

andyrobs

Hi Trey, that office is amazing, it reminds me of the bridge of the starship enterprise from star trek!!!!!

Cheers, Andrew

First Name
Michael
Brilliant, like Andrew says it's like a space ship bridge. Love this aircraft, will be watching with interest as may have to get me one of these. Great stuff.

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Fellas! Drilled out the exhaust ports and I'm ready to join up the wings on the beast

Thanks for all the support and kind words and totally agree with the Star trek reference the office is screaming beam me up Scotty!!!

C

Caledonia

Hi Trey, hope all that excellent work in the 'office' isn't going to be hidden when you close up the fuselage. Great work Cheers Derek

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Fantastic office Trey, pity it'll never be seen again.

I'll enjoy following this thread, keep it up pal.

Tony.

p.s. who is the center seat for, because the pilot would be the Captain, so it can't be the Captains chair, can it?

Last edited by a moderator:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Trey

This build looks out of this world! I'm with Roman - the cockpit does look like something from the original Star Trek series. It's also brilliantly done! Great work on a very unusual aircraft. This is going to be a really interesting build.

All the best

Paul

T

treyzx10r

Derek thanks,yes sadly all but a little of the office will be seen mostly the pilot seat lol. Roman thanks. Tony thanks and you're correct it ca'nt be the Captain;),its actually the gunners seat and the pole is a telescopic sight.

Plugging along on the more mundane chores ,props and there pylons .Then on to filling a lot of ugly seams,yuk!

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
great to see another of this big wings being built!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is coming along great. Looking forward to the seeing the metal finish applied.

Cheers

Paul

First Name
Michael
Great stuff, looking forward to seeing your paint going on.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A brilliant cockpit. The attention to detail is amazing. Any history on the plane ?

Colin M.

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Fellas for the kind words and support! Colin only 2 X-35's were built and the vibration problems with the counter-rotating props led to them being replaced with the single props on the preproduction YB-35,all later to be replaced by the jet powered YB-49,which suffered a catastorphic wing failure killing all the crew. The whole Flying wing program was later cancelled and sadly all were scrapped. The Boeing B-36 Peacemaker wound up with the contract amid much controversy about sabatoge and industrial espionage .

I opened up the leading edges and hollowed the wing ,more tedious filling ahead!