not a GB hurricane

K

Kressy13

Hi all.

Have just finished my 1/72 hurricane. Great little kit. I tried a couple of first on this model aswell. First time i have tried applying gun smoke and exhaust staining. I think the exhaust is a bit dark. It is also the first time i have made a display base/diorama for one of my aircraft. I think it has turned out alright. All comments welcome.

Cheers

Kresten

View attachment 29301

View attachment 29302

View attachment 29303

View attachment 29304

View attachment 29305

View attachment 29306

View attachment 29307

View attachment 29308

View attachment 29309

hurricane 3.jpg

hurricane 4.jpg

hurricane 5.jpg

hurricane 6.jpg

hurricane 7.jpg

hurricane 8.jpg

hurricane 9.jpg

hurricane 10.jpg

hurricane 11.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

Hi Kresten, another excellent subject from the non group build. I think the finish and paint work on the Hurricane really is very neat and it looks perfect on the diorama base. Weathering is a skill to be applied very carefully and I think you are quite right in taking it slowly and not applying too much. It is so easy to overdo it and spoil your model so the careful approach is best.

Just a couple of suggestions that you might find useful for future projects, the first is the grass is of quite a perfect finish. I would wear some away to make a couple of muddy patches and possibly paint some areas to be a slightly different shade to make it a bit more interesting. Finally don't forget to clean up the joints of all the bits as the joint of the oil drum is quite noticeable.

I wouldn't do anything now, the model looks great and the figure gives it a bit of life, but something to think about on your next one.

K

Kressy13

Thanks for that mate. This is all stuff you learn along the way. Ill keep that in mind for the next 1. This was just a little trial as i hadn't done it before. lol. but thank you for the input. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Kresten

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm not qualified to comment on your base,I'll leave that to our dioramists,but the aircraft looks very nice. You are right to restrain the weathering,an aircraft like this in 1940 would be pretty new and well maintained.

Your exhaust staining isn't too dark,my only comment is that it is too much one colour. Staining from Merlins,whilst essentially a darkish brown/black also had a quite light blue/white element caused by the high lead content of the fuel. It's a fiddle but I do a base of blue grey (RLM76 actually) and then lightly overspray an oily looking dark umber/black mix and finally black.

Whilst we're on exhaust I like the metallic finish you've done on yours. That makes at least two of us who don't think they should be rust coloured!

You've done a top job on that little aircraft,it shows how good these 1/72 kits can be made to look.

Cheers

Steve

K

Kressy13

Thanks steve. I'll have to give your tip a go on my typhoon.

Cheers

Kresten

F

Fenlander

That is a very nicely presented model Kresten, I think yours looks better than mine. It is a very nice little kit although it needs a bit of work, there is nothing too difficult to sort out. I agree with Richard re the grass etc. Don't alter this one though but on your next either do some staining with an airbrush to break up the uniformity a bit like darker lines where the aircraft would roll forward but nothing severe like an armoured vehicle. The BoB was fought in nice weather some of the time. I did the same as you on my first bases, the main thing is be subtle and stop before you go to far. You can always add a bit more but you can never take any away.

That little corrugated structure is sooo cute, where is it from?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice job Kresten.

Only thing I would add is that seing how the guns have fired, why are there no holes in the covering tapes? LOL

I think the base looks good and the grass looks good if a little even but hey if he wanted to park it on the squadron criket pitch so what!

Well done.

K

Kressy13

Thanks guys. I realized about the guns after it was done Ian. Lol. Oh well. I'll just remember it for next time. The shed is made by wills its for railway modelers but I thought it fit the bill. It is a great little kit. That's the great thing about this forum, always learning new things.

Cheers

Kresten

N

noble

Hi Kreston nice job on the hurricane very nice indeed, well done mate.

scott

R

rogue-one

hey there kreston. quality job there. nicely done. the base is great to. i always think a base simple or detailed makes a difference and displays a build brillantly for the livingroom shelf.