Not another Spitfire.....

1275GT

....but about as close as you can get without being one!! It's the 1/72 Airfix Seafire IIc. It's the odd-ball kit that uses the old raised detail body ( although it has a couple of panels engraved ) with the later engraved wings, done as a break from the never-ending Swordfish saga.

It's my first "conversion" ( arrester hook and tropical filter, and I've added a few bits, to the cockpit ( which, of course you can't now see ! ) and the strenghening plates, which I'm quite pleased with. I wasn't convinced about the paintwork and finish, but it's growing on me.

Good, bad or indifferent, feel free to comment away, and hopefully enjoy !

View attachment 57682View attachment 57683View attachment 57684View attachment 57685View attachment 57686View attachment 57687View attachment 57688

Cheers, Neil

View attachment 59605

View attachment 59606

View attachment 59607

View attachment 59608

View attachment 59609

View attachment 59610

View attachment 59611

DSC07815.jpg

DSC07816.jpg

DSC07817.jpg

DSC07818.jpg

DSC07819.jpg

DSC07820.jpg

DSC07821.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks like a Seafire to me Neil.

You made a good job of the paint to. One thing if I may; the windscreen is not sitting quite right. Poor chap in the cockpit is going to get a wicked draft in his face.

Nice work.

Ian M

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
A cracking Spit Neil, nicely done.

Tony.

1275GT

Ah, yeah.....it's a fair cop, guv!! I did notice it, but was kinda hoping it's look better after painting, but it quite clearly doesn't. I may try and tidy it up, but the paint was quite heavilly lightened in a rather non-scientific way, so matching might be tricky, and I can live with it for now :smiling3:

But as my school report often told me, must try harder......

Cheers, Neil

First Name
Aaron
Awesome Neil and what a knock out for 1:72 scale.

S

Scuff

Well done Neil, it's not easy to get them looking that good in 1/72nd.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
This is a great job Neil. The Airfix canopies are constantly bad fits, you have a few options to prevent gaps. The first is to dry fit and sand and file the canopy so that it sits flush. If you fit it prior to painting you can use small amounts of filler (mask the canopy first!) and fill the gaps followed by very light sanding. If you haven't had trouble with the fit beforehand and fit the canopy after painting and varnishing, you can use a thicker paint mix and touch up the gaps and fill them that way. But your paint work is fantastic, and the build itself looks nice and smooth. Well done.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A very nice build Neil with some very good paint work. And as for the conopy AIRFIX is all you need to say ( the pilot probably likes to feel the wind in his hair )

1275GT

Thanks for the comments guys, and the advice flyjoe180. I shall bare it in mind :smiling3:

Cheers, Neil

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Not another Spitfire - Never, they all look great.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice job neil , it looks like this has the same later moulded wing as the spit Vc i did with the deeply engraved lines. If i recall ,i had to fill the bottom of the windscreen on mine too!! great work mate , cheers tony

First Name
Michael
Looks great Neil, nice and neat. What you doing next? M

1275GT

Thanks guys :smiling3:

\ said:
Looks great Neil, nice and neat. What you doing next? M
Well, would you believe another Spit ? It's a step up in scale for me though, the Airfix 1/48 Mk XVIe, possibly with a few mods and in a small dio - figured it might be time to give my eyes a break !!

This is, of course, once the epic Swordfish build comes to an end, so it could be a while yet......

Cheers, Neil