Not So KLEAR

P

Pete Mac

Having held back on risking bodging a very satisfying paint job on my Spitfire, I bit the bullit and went ahead with a coat of neat Klear.To my horror it seems to have gone on uneven ie, patchy semi gloss as though it has reacted with the Tamiya paint. Is this normal and will it come good when I give it a coat of matt varnish (vallego) I made sure the surface was as clean as possible and I sprayed the klear neat as advise

PS.. the finish is smooth enough but just not uniform. Just a tad concerned. Tell me what I want to hear please guys!!!

Pete

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've never heard of Klear reacting with Tamiya paint. I'd leave it for at least twelve hours and then apply another coat of Klear.

Cheers

Steve

W

wbk666

you could try another coat. i brushed mine on in thin coats and allow it to dry properly between coats.

sorry i cant be of more help.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Is this coat of Klear the one before the decals or after to seal them? If its the after decal one, why bother, just do the Vallejo direct over the decals. I would also suggest either a satin or semi gloss for your spitfire. Personal choice I know but British fighters tended to edge more towards a natural (result of cleaning) sheen, Sheen not shine. A desert stationed one would be more matt due to sun bleaching.

I only ever use Klear for canopies these days as the modern acrylic varnishes are much better. Admittedly dearer.

Ian M

T

tecdes

I tried airbrushing Klear Peter & found it very patchy mostly matt with areas of more Satin.

Found that brushing was the best.

Now use Vallejo in place of Klear.

Laurie

P

Pete Mac

That fits exactly what has happened to me Laurie. This was the pre- decal coat so likewise I just wait and seal it with a final coat of varnish. Can't imagine why I shall be reluctant to use klear again. Thanks lads. Pete

First Name
Dave
Ive used Kleer on several models and usually end up with an uneven Patchy finish.I used to spray it but i now apply it with a brush.The decals always go on fine and a final coat of Vallejo matt gives a great finish everytime.M