Now for my next build. Revell 1/225 HMS Victory

W

weareborg

Now that I've finally gotten my B-17 finished, I had the choice of 2 ship kits to build. I had to decide on Revell HMS Victory or Airfix HMS Illustrious. I choose HMS Victory because: 1) Its a small kit after my B-17 model

2) There doesn't seem to be a build of this particular model on here.

I am really looking forward to this build, as eventually I would love to build a larger wooden model kit of this wonderful and historic ship, but that will be some time away.

So to start with, I thought I would just post some images of the box art work, and the kit itself, so here goes:

View attachment 29319

View attachment 29320

View attachment 29321

View attachment 29322

View attachment 29323

View attachment 29324

View attachment 29325

View attachment 29326

DSCF5416.JPG

DSCF5440.JPG

DSCF5441.JPG

DSCF5442.JPG

DSCF5425.JPG

DSCF5438.JPG

DSCF5439.JPG

DSCF5424.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Did this with my father 22 years ago. Lovely kit to build and worth it in the end. The rigging is a nightmare though lol

F

Fenlander

Tins of proper Humbrol enamel, that makes a change. Look forward to this, nice to see something different.

B

Bunkerbarge

I have a half finished Airfix Victory in the attic that may or may not eventually get completed. I simply couldn't get to like the vac formed sails.

You may find it worthwhile to check out the JoTiKa range of Admiralty paints here:

JoTiKa Ltd. ~ Admiralty Paints Page 1.

They are specifically formulated to match the colours used by the Admiralty during this period so are well worth considering.

Also have a look through my own gallery where I have posted some pictures of the Victory in Portsmouth. Good luck, certainly a type of model not often seen here so well worth watching how you go about it.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi there. Don't know if this will help or hinder your Victory!

This is a site devoted to the 1/100 Heller/Airfix Victory and the detail these guys manage to replicate is simply awesome!

The Airfix / Heller 1:100th HMS Victory Modellers Forum (Includes Other Ships From The Age Of Sail) • Index page

Gern

W

weareborg

Thanks for those tips guys. This is just going to be an 'out of the box' build as this is my 1st ever boat build.

Andy

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Andy you'll love it. It's a lovely kit although painting all those cannons did my head in lol.

W

weareborg

OK. Here is my progress so far on this, my 1st ever ship build.

As flounder_al already stated, yes those little cannons are a real pain. After painting the 1st 30 that are needed for the top deck, I gave up. :smiling5:

Panting the rope detail was a little awkward but managable, but after cutting up 120 little pieces of masking tape or the lower deck, my back and neck was really feeling it. :smiling5:

View attachment 29447

View attachment 29448

View attachment 29449

View attachment 29450

View attachment 29451

View attachment 29452

View attachment 29453

View attachment 29454

View attachment 29455

View attachment 29456

View attachment 29457

DSCF5484.JPG

DSCF5482.JPG

DSCF5488.JPG

DSCF5483.JPG

DSCF5485.JPG

DSCF5491.JPG

DSCF5489.JPG

DSCF5492.JPG

DSCF5486.JPG

DSCF5490.JPG

DSCF5493.JPG

B

Bunkerbarge

Looking good so far. I don't know if you will have the same challenge with this one as you do with the Airfix kit but watch out for it. The planking on the hullk sides does not follow the lines of the buff coloured bands. You get tempted to follow the planks and you get it wrong. The problem with the Airfix kit though is that the detail is far too deeply recessed at it really would be better smoothing it all off!!

W

weareborg

P

pilot program

Oh, it looks so good for now. Good luck with this model. I have the same one and I am at the same position as you are now :smiling3: But I quit the construction for some time because of the picture below :D

And one more tip: Cannon rack (I don't know is this the right expression) is painted in yellow, but only today. At the time when Victory was an active warship, racks were painted in red (just like all other warships at that time) to "hide" a blood of the wounded man onboard.

I hope you understand what am I saying. My english vocabulary is not great.

View attachment 29518

Clipboard01.jpg

W

weareborg

:shocking: What model is that picture of the rigging for???? It can't be the Revell one that I am doing. Looks like fun though. NOT. :smiling5:

P

pilot program

You have to download a book.: Conway Maritime Press - Anatomy Of The Ship - Hms Victory. Try rapidshare.

This is a HMS Victory bible.

Revell did not put all the rigging in their..........don't know the term.....that-paper-where-they-show-you-how-to-construct-their-model LOL

B

Bunkerbarge

You used to be able to buy three superb plans of the Victory, one of them was a rigging plan, from the souvenier shop at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard. It might be worth giving them a ring and asking if they still do them and if they will send them via mail:

Royal Naval Museum Shop

N

noswal68

Great work so far, also being a novice, I've just started this same project myself gonna do an out of the box build, keep the thumnail images coming matey.

Thanks Joe

W

weareborg

Hi Joe.

I have stopped work on the Victory for the moment. I am in the process of building Airfix HMS Illustrious, although I havn't been able to take any pics due to not having a camera at the moment.

W

weareborg

Well its been awhile since I have had a chance to do anything on my models. Other commitments and all that

When I finally got round to doing some work the other day, I have found that I am some parts missing. Now I am pretty sure that everything was there when I 1st checked the kit out, but now it seems that there are in fact about 8 pieces missing. I can't understand where they could of gotten too. Everything has been kept together in the bags that the parts came in, and it kept safely in its box under my bed for the past 5 months.

Unfortunately I do not have the receipt from where I bought the kit so I don't know if I can get the parts I need from Revell without it. Does anybody know if thats the case or not?????

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi there Weareborg Your best bet is to look on the Revell website but I have a feeling that parts are not easy to get. If it had been an Airfix kit it there would have been no problem as they have an excellent parts replacement service good luck with the Revell website.

Vaughan