Oil in the moisture trap?

W

wanna_be_aviator

I just bought a regulator/moisture trap for my mini compressor and as I read the instructions it mentions that I need to use "oil according to the ISO specifications". That flew right over my head. Does anyone know what kind of oil are they talking about, the only thing I get from there is that I have to comply with Mr. ISO's demands but still dunno what kind of oil should go there. Instructions were a bit too cryptic to me. Help, please?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm not sure what ISO regulations are. I thought they were something to do with the oil and gas industry,but I could be mistaken. Anyway I've had moisture traps on my compressors and also deal with watertraps on the compressors of "cracked oil" machines (to make a nice haze) at work and you don't need any oil for them. The work ones get a bit of light machine oil on the little plunger mechanism that you can release the trapped water with,but they sometimes run for eight hours a day. I've never bothered with my hobby ones.

Cheers

Steve

S

Sky Raider

Hi Marcos,

Perhaps it would be better if you copied the paragraph word for word so that we could try and find our just what they are refering to. Please dont scan and post it because of copyright laws.

All i know at the moment is ISO stands for International Standards Organisation, quite how this relates to your compressor im not sure.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Since my last post i have found something that gives us a clue. www.awi.co.uk/morrisdocs/tech/AForce2000Iss1.pdf it refers to lubrication of vane compressors. These i would have thought are for use in heavy industry and have never heard of this before relating to the small bench top compressors that we might use. Anyway, hope this helps.

Andy

W

wanna_be_aviator

Thank you guys, for taking the time to look into it and sorry for the lack of information on my post. The regulator/moisture trap i got is a PCL one, model ATC6 made right there in the UK, and the instructions mention "Fill the lubricator with oil either by unscrewing the oilcup or through the opening in the plug above the body prior to pressurising the system. Use ISO and UNI FD oils". But I did buy this unit at an industrial tools supplier, it might be as you said, intended for heavier duty compressors. First time dealing with these things, feeling a bit daft.

Cheers

Marcos

S

Sky Raider

Not at all Marcos, we dont learn if we dont ask, there is no such thing as stupid questions here. I think they are refering to the lubrication within the compressor itself rather than the trap. Can you see a plug on the compressor head, not the tank, If your still not sure please post some pics and we will have a look at it for you.

Andy

B

Bunkerbarge

I'm a little confused as if it is a regulator/moisture trap then there is no need for oil. If however it also incorporates a lubricator then i would expect it to have two chambers, one to remove the moisture and one to put oil in as a lubricator.

First of all be careful, an oiler is to put oil into the discharge air for the purposes of oiling air driven tools such as socket drivers etc. BE VERY CAREFUL though if you are using the compressor for air brush purposes. The last thing you want to do is put oil into the air line and have it mixing with your paint.

Please tell us a little bit more about what you are going to do with this compressor and as much information as possible about the unit you have just bought before you use it.

W

wanna_be_aviator

Thanks Richard, I think you gave me the clue. I checked the manual again and there is a picture of the unit with other units connected in modules, I think that the unit I got doesn't have a lubricator, only the regulator and the filter, the instructions are probably extended to other modules as well. My compressor is a small, simple one but it gives up to 150 psi and I was advised to have air regulation and a moisture trap, considering that the air warms up inside the compressor and the water vapour in the air might condense into water and splatter through the a/b, (you guys know all that story). So I bought this regulator/filter unit (PCL, model ATC6) to attach it to the compressor outlet. Andy, here is a picture of the naughty thing and its packaging. There is also a pressure gauge in the box and a little plug so you can choose which side you want the gauge to be connected.

View attachment 22369View attachment 22370View attachment 22371

View attachment 29225

View attachment 29226

View attachment 29227

DSC00252.JPG

DSC00253.JPG

DSC00254.JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Richard hit the nail squarly on the head, whilst I was still looking for my hammer!

The idea of an oiler for compressed air tools is to lubricate them during use. NOT a thing you want to do if you are useing it to paint with though.

Whilst on the subject dont forget to empty the moisture trap once in a while AND a couple of times a year pull the air realease valve in the bottom of the tank. Best not to have to much air pressure in the tank when you do that bit. ;)

W

wanna_be_aviator

Thanks Ian for your help. tomorrow i'm sure to put the whole thing together and start messing around with the air brush. I just can't wait for that!

cheers,

Marcos

B

Bunkerbarge

Glad we could help Marcos, I'm sure you will enjoy using the compressor and it will certainly put a smile on your face when you see the results you can get from it.