Operable engine hatch hinges

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s not an M10 but a Matilda, but this serves to illustrate Richard’s point pretty well:

(video starts at the relevant bit)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Good grief! That engine hatch must weigh over 50 kilos!
If you watch some more of his videos, you’ll notice quite soon that most tanks have engine deck hatches that require this much or more effort to open. Those on the M10 are fairly open, being essentially large grilles, but they’re also pretty deep so there’s probably about as much material in them as if they were simple plates of the thickness of the engine deck. IOW, they’re unlikely to be light either.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Aircraft panels are the direct opposite. That's why they need extra ribbing for strength. Good for you you found your hinges...looking forward to your workable doors.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Those on the M10 were not, though — neither the driver’s hatches nor the engine deck hatches had springs on them. About the only hatch that was easy to open on it, would be the escape hatch in the floor, behind the co-driver’s seat :smiling3:

Sander69

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Those on the M10 were not, though — neither the driver’s hatches nor the engine deck hatches had springs on them. About the only hatch that was easy to open on it, would be the escape hatch in the floor, behind the co-driver’s seat :smiling3:
Didn’t the m10 driver’s hatches open kind of like a Lamborghini countach door? Kind of slide up sideways somehow?

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Didn’t the m10 driver’s hatches open kind of like a Lamborghini countach door? Kind of slide up sideways somehow?
IIRC the hinge was/is at an angle so the hatch open position was almost vertical.
Edit: Here is a picture.
gmcm10hatch.jpg

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
IIRC the hinge was/is at an angle so the hatch open position was almost vertical.
View attachment 402019
Based on the angle of the hinge you basically pushed forward at a 45 degree angle. Like pushing something out of the way as opposed upward. The problem with hatch lying in that position I can guess the turret would be in the way.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
See the photo Karl posted above: it’s got a hinge at the front outside corner and opens to a strange, almost vertical position. There’s a hook on the outside (not visible in that picture) that should be fastened to keep it from knocking out the driver in rough terrain :smiling3:

Another detail that Karl’s photo captures well but many modellers don’t, is that there should not be a periscope in an open hatch (this goes for M4 medium tanks as well). American practice was to remove the periscope before opening the hatch, then re-inserting it after the hatch was closed. British troops, OTOH, appear (from photos) to usually have left periscopes in place (as would Americans sometimes, of course).

Reactions: JR

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Another detail that Karl’s photo captures well but many modellers don’t, is that there should not be a periscope in an open hatch (this goes for M4 medium tanks as well). American practice was to remove the periscope before opening the hatch, then re-inserting it after the hatch was closed.
It looks in the video as if the periscope is part of the hatch locking mechanism?
Nice video. The driver got a bit wet in that first water splash!
Pete

Sander69

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
View attachment 402019
Thank you VERY MUCH for the picture. That explains much of my confusion on the driver's hatches. I have several reference books on the M10 and I still didn't know how the driver's hatches opened. I love it!

My Great Uncle was commander of a M-10 through Northern Africa and into Italy. He was well honored at his funeral by his (remaining) tank crew at his funeral. They say he blew up three German tank in one day and his reward was to clean the m-10's barrel. I always being around my uncle and that is why I'm trying to build a very accurate M-10. All of the respondents of this post are helping a great deal. THANK YOU!

Last edited:

Sander69

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Based on the angle of the hinge you basically pushed forward at a 45 degree angle. Like pushing something out of the way as opposed upward. The problem with hatch lying in that position I can guess the turret would be in the way.

Cheers,
Richard
Yes, Richard, you are correct. The driver could not open the hatch when the turret was facing directly forward. I learned this on the YouTube show Inside the Captain's Hatch.
Look at the time index 3:29.

Another for the interior

Enjoy! And thanks again!

Last edited: