Operation 'Blacktop' WW2 Style

B

Braille- dave

OK gentlemen, something a little rarer...

Diamond T 968 with Williams Bros 'SnoFlyr' snowplough

As used by the RAF from about 1943. These were originally developed for the US Navy, based on a highway model, which was in turn developed from a railway snowplough. The 'SnoFlyr' was also fitted to FWD HAR-1 and SU-COE models. Both of which also were operated by the RAF. Most RAF examples used a Coventry Climax R6 to power the plough, through a transfer box, and supply hydraulic power for the controls and lifting gear.

View attachment 116713

I used the IBG Diamond T 968 kit, left the winch off, front bumber and added a frame to the front chassis members for the snowplough.

View attachment 116714

I scratched-built the snowplough and the auxiliary engine housing, using plasticard and microstrip and rod.

View attachment 116715

The colour is US Olive Drab, mixed to Mike Starmers specification, using Humbrol enamels. Glosscoted, decals added, a little dark wash, then mattcoted.

View attachment 116716

Finally dusted the wheels with artists pastels. The base was created using cotton fabric, with black acrylic dry-brushed in places, and a decorators filler called 'One-Time' layered on- This filler is basically a deep filler, and uses micro balloons to get the depth. It's used almost dry, so you can create lumpy snow around the tyres. I tried to get an impression of a cold wind on the airmans Don R.

View attachment 116717

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
That looks great...totally different but great

Lee :smiling3:

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Fantastic idea....... Great detailing. I like that a lot.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I like this, great model making. Top work.

Si:smiling3:

M

My Model Car Workshop

Nice model and scene. It looks like real snow. Well done!

D

Doug Hughes

Really good, Dave - a nice bit of old-style conversion work/scratch building. Love the setting, and the snow. Thanks, too, for your 'construction notes' - it's good to know how you achieved some of these great effects.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great job on a unique subject Dave. Love the base and figures too.

B

Braille- dave

Thanks for all your kind comments- I must admit I'm quietly pleased with the way it's turned out....

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb work Dave ! as Si and Doug say its great to see a fine bit of scratchbuilding , and the result is fantastic and (in model form anyway) unique. Loving the snowy base too ,although i fear for the poor bloke stood in front of it , I hope hes going to shift when it gets fired up!! Great build in every sense , cheers tony

B

Braille- dave

Sorry for extended reply Tony...

He'll be fine! I'm told that in the days before edge markers (Basically 2' foot sticks painted orange) an airman would be sent out to find the edge of the runway with feet or shovel. He'd guide the plough onto the start point for the first run, then get out of the way!

Nowadays of course, at the beginning of Winter, a party of airmen will go out and put marker sticks out at regular intervals down either side of the runways and taxiways...

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very nice conversion Dave and nice scratch building skills.

Welcome to the forum

Cheers

P

S

scorched_earth_policy

Great build :smiling3: I love the 'simplicity' of the scene, brilliant scratch building too!