Operation Cerberus....February 1942

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
On March 28th 1941, a Spitfire was on routine patrol along the French coast. The pilot spotted two ships in the docks at the port of Brest.

He quickly took photographs of the two large warships.....They were later identified as the sister ship Battle Cruisers, Scharnhorst and Gneisenau.

View attachment 84498

At around the same time, and at great danger to himself, a French dockyard worker, spying for the Allies, took these hastily snapped images of the two ships from his vehicle....He reported there was great activity in the port and something was about to happen........View attachment 84499

View attachment 84500

Where these two powerful German warships about to strike out into the Atlantic and attack Allied convoys?

Salmon and Gluckstein 004.jpg

Salmon and Gluckstein 005.jpg

Salmon and Gluckstein 001.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
You've done it now Ron. You will have to take to the skies, you cannot have Operation Cerberus without the huge aerial battle overhead. Awesome work on the cruisers.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
You've done it now Ron. You will have to take to the skies, you cannot have Operation Cerberus without the huge aerial battle overhead. Awesome work on the cruisers.
Not so much a battle as a failure to find the ships. There was a massacre of Swordfish, but at least they found the German flotilla. Less than one in six of the various bombers sent to intercept the ships ever found them and The Channel isn't that big a body of water.

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the replies boys.

Alan, they are all Tamiya 1/700. Very nice kits. I can't vouch for their accuracy, but I'm not bothered anyway! The battle cruisers are about 13" long / 33cm.

View attachment 84511

Although sisters, there were a quite major differences. Mainly to the stern area, as can be seen from this picture. All the Arados were removed for 'Cerberus'

View attachment 84512

Joe, I'm avoiding any aircraft, so it'll be depicting either just before or just after British involvement. Which was a fair time!

Steve, thanks for the input. What do you think of the models so far, bearing in mind they have still to be weathered?

Cheers,

Ron

Salmon and Gluckstein 006.jpg

Salmon and Gluckstein 012.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I don't know much about these ships but they, and there setting, look great to me.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
I don't know much about these ships but they, and there setting, look great to me.Cheers

Steve
I hope you didn't mind the gentle leg pull, Steve?!!!! I don't know that much either, just makes a bit of a change.....

Last edited by a moderator:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice build Ron like it so far, and the Awesome work on the cruisers, looks great,:rolleyes: