Otaki1/48 Ki100 Goshiki

T

treyzx10r

I'm starting another Japanese fighter from Otaki . Dry fit looks good except for a gap at the wing/fuse joint

The pilot apparently took a large calibre hit to the midsection

the Office is stark but thats okay its going to be a closed canopy build

I've not decided on the markings yet ,all I can find are solid Green schemes that are'nt very inspiring ,any ideas?

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looking good Trey. I like the cockpit detail.

Vaughan.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice!

Just been looking for an other colour option for you. I to can only find green ones.

How about doing the salt chip method gone mad? Paint it Green to start with, then salt it and then spray the Bottom cover on top. One very war beaten sun bleached sea water washed Japanese aircraft.

No? OK, I'll get my coat....

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Vaughan,Ajay thanks! Ian thanks for looking and thats actually not a bad idea. I'll have to make a choice soon tho. I used green squadron putty on the gaps then 'welded' all the seams with some tenax. The lower intakes went on next and then I hollowed out the intake at the top of the cowling.

Last edited:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Nice looking build Trey.

The engine in the background looks well done too.

Keep it up mate.

Tony.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looking good so far Trey. Excuse my ignorance but what is Tenax?

Vaughan

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top choice trey, a very much underrated and relatively unknown aircraft. Ive been looking for one of these otaki/arii kits for a while- theyre very nice and usually at least half the price of the hasegawa one! Looking great so far, nice pilot,i take it this is going to be finished in flight mode? cheers tony

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Hey Trey.

You got me interested in this Tenax stuff so I looked it up on Evil-bay.

The blurb says its for attaching gems to metal fittings and theres another one for large gap filling of, amongst other things, plastics.

Epoxy Tenax E6000 Beacon 527 Omni-Stick Victory Glues | eBay

Is this the stuff.

Tony.

T

treyzx10r

Tony Ian ,thanks its Tenax 7r by Hebco there email is tenax7r@bellsouth.net .Tony yes these kits are a great deal for the money. Not quite as nice as a Has kit but not by much. Yes its in flight, I'll explain why in a later post;) got something up my sleeve for all the Jap birds I'm building just do'nt want to let it out yet in case I fumble it .I decided to go with the aircraft in the background #296 as the kit supplied decals match. The paint seems to have adhered quite well on this example so no salt on this build.

It does show some slight chipping here and there so it still gets a base of ts-30 .The bottom got a coat of Japanese grey

artist rendering of same aircraft with different number

T

treyzx10r

I zoomed in close on the pic and some salt was needed after all .The cockpit entrance has some real good chipping so figured the walk areas and ammo panels on the tops of the wing were probably pretty beat up as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v710/treyzx10r/KI100GOSHIKI/goshiki4001.jpg[/img

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Mmmm,I wondered what was with all these Japanese birds! Hopefully all will be revealed. Nice job again on the chipping,you've got the salt system down to a tee.

Cheers

Steve

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
There seems to be an art to this salt technicque Trey and you got it.

It's looking really good, even at this early stage.

And i too am intrigued about what you will do with these Jap planes.

I'll watch with great interest.

Tony.

T

treyzx10r

Thanks for the great comments everyone.I'm onto the decals after rubbung on some oil base wash

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Trey very nice nearly there.

Vaughan

P

phalinmegob

i tried salt chipping on one of mine and it discoloured all the srayed paint around the speckles salt, any ideas what i did wrong as you seem to have it down to a fine art. possibly not left it long enough to dry.