Our brilliant modeling community

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
I haven't been here long, and thank you for making me welcome despite my quirks and Japan fascination!

I recently expressed and interest in a book Mike 'Scratchbuilder' referenced in an enquiry I had made concerning the F-4 Phantom II, Mike PM'd me asking if I'd like his book and sent it to me free of charge not even accepting my offer of payment.

Thanks Mike, you're a star!

F-4-book.jpg

This is quite typical of members of the scale modeling community, for years I've benefited from the generosity of our fellow modelers having sent and received model related stuff from all over the world, usual free of charge sometimes covering the cost of postage, most recently before Mike's generous donation I was posted some 'hinamaru' decals, the national marking of Japan's air forces all the way from Australia enclosed in a Christmas card with seasons greetings from the sender! The first time I remember was in the days of the Official Airfix Forum in the early 2000's where I was sent a Matchbox 1/72 SAAB Tunnan canopy from a well know Swedish modeler having broken mine! I often wondered how he managed to own a spare canopy? My most recent donation I sent was a set of 617sqn decals to a modeler on another forum I occasionally frequent. I've sent European stuff to Japan and received vice versa, in the same way Japanese kits can be super expensive in Europe Airfix kits carry a heavy price in the Far east. Some stuff has no importer so we rely on our community to get the goodies we desire!! During the pandemic most stores wouldn't post internationally, our world wide community came to the rescue!

I suspect most of us send and receive stuff too, time to acknowledge the brilliant spirit and generosity of our community!

Miko (modeling philanthropist!)

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Yep, very true, the raison d'être of a forum

Miko (really should be modeling stuff right now!)

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Great positive post, Miko!

One element you've not mentioned is the generosity of model makers in sharing expertise - for me, its the sharing of skills and techniques within the community that is so priceless. I really would be a much less capable model maker without it!
Could not agree more. As a newcomer returning to modelling I have found the generosity of knowledge to be limitless on here. Not a day passes by with some gem of information popping up. For that alone I am immensely thankful. Then of course there are the offers of help with transfers, spare parts and even the making of items for members.
You are all true stars.