Outrunner's 1/24 Revell Lightning McQeen.

First Name
Andy
52617538521_b1f76b62be_b.jpg

52721271642_2c3fc08a51_h.jpg

52721271852_db5fb5e035_h.jpg

52722206370_eec153f38f_h.jpg

You also have the choice of using stickers or decals.
52721796766_17405fad43_h.jpg

Lightning McQueen was the star of the Disney/Pixar series of films of which I thought the first one was the best.
For those that have not seen it here is a link to a Youtube short.

Andy.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
These movies are not my cup of tea, but the model has more parts than I expected, so I guess the question is: which of the two sets of markings are you going to use? ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great stuff. A real fun build. My favourite character was Doc Hudson…..got a Hudson Hornet in the stash….must build it someday…..

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I don't think that dark grey primer will be helping you Andy. On the full size stuff I deal with reds can often need 2-3 times as many coats to cover a dark surface than a lighter one and I'm sure model paints will be similar.

The lightest grey primer you can find, even white, would give the red a more vivid appearance. One of the paint schemes I've used even recommended a pink undercoat which worked brilliantly.

First Name
Andy
Thanks for the advice Andy but I don't think I have enough paint to give it another coat so that would mean waiting about 3 days for more, I may nip in to Halfords tomorrow and get a rattle can of the brightest red I can find. :smiling2:

Andy.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
On the full size stuff I deal with reds can often need 2-3 times as many coats to cover a dark surface than a lighter one and I'm sure model paints will be similar.
Red and yellow paints usually cover very poorly regardless of what type of paint it is, yes. Model paints certainly are no different from ones for full-sized subjects.

TBH, with this model I’m kind of wondering why Andy (non-T :smiling3: ) put primer on the body at all … With that bright red plastic, I might even have tried just clear over all of it. Probably testing it on the inside of the bonnet first :smiling3:

First Name
Andy
Red and yellow paints usually cover very poorly regardless of what type of paint it is, yes. Model paints certainly are no different from ones for full-sized subjects.

TBH, with this model I’m kind of wondering why Andy (non-T :smiling3: ) put primer on the body at all … With that bright red plastic, I might even have tried just clear over all of it. Probably testing it on the inside of the bonnet first :smiling3:
The reason for priming was because of all the mold lines I had to sand off.

Andy.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Playing ketchup, Andy and the chassis on its wheels is looking great Sir!!! As for the body, maybe just shoot a good coat of gloss on her and do the decals. I would think that after 100 laps in a 500 lap race, the oil, dirt, rubber chunks and dust would coat the finish and it wouldn't have a showroom shine anyway...Just a thought..........

Prost
Allen