P-47 Thunderbolt

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This morning I have been spraying mostly Ocean Grey.

I've got it on and post shaded a bit to break up the monotony.

Next up will be applying the rather nebulous Dark Green pattern. I've got some reasonable images of the fuselage sides but the upper wings will be largely guess work,I have some blurry stills from some old film footage to go on. This I'll have a crack at tomorrow.

In the mean time I shall be making a right mess of my two American figures :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Due to unforseen freedom I've leapt ahead with this and sprayed the Dark Green.

This an interpretation of this very complicated scheme.

It's all sprayed freehand with enamel paints. I'll be leaving it overnight before having a good look and maybe making some adjustments.

Now I'm planning the best way of masking and spraying the partial invasion stripes!

Cheers

Steve

S

Sky Raider

Looking fantastic Steve. Reminds me of when i built my Thunderbolt on here. Keep up the good work.

Andy

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks like you nailed that camo pattern Steve. Coming along nicely, looking forward to seeing the result soon.

K

Kressy13

The camo is looking great. Not overdone but has the right look to it. Well done.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've now applied the partial "distinctive markings" a.k.a. invasion stripes as per the day Gabreski made his forced landing.

They are sprayed using Xtracrylix white and Night. There are decals provided for these in the kit but at this scale there is no excuse for not spraying them. I will be able to distress them a bit as per my references.

A few touch ups (oooh errrr) and I'll be getting a coat of Klear on to seal it all in.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Chris
Looking pretty damn fine so far Steve, keep up the good work.

Regards

Chris

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ive been following this one from the wings steve, its been as much of a pleasure to watch as it has been for you building it. It really looks like a beautiful kit, and the job youve done so far is excellent, especially loving the camo .Looking forward to seeing the figures too , cheers tony

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Very, very nice Steve. Keep the photos coming.

Vaughan

A

ajcmac

Great camouflage. Keep up the good work :welldone:.

Regards

ajcmac

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've made a start on the decals this morning,hoping to get a bit done before I get dragged off visiting relatives!

When I sprayed the invasion stripes on the fuselage I masked the area where the decal for the national marking would go as I think that the black and white would show through. I'm somewhat relieved to see that this has worked,just one tiny touch up in the corner of the bar and roundel needed !

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got the main decals on and am very glad that I sprayed the stripes,they would have been a nightmare to apply and ended up translucent.

A couple of the decals broke and had to be carefully reconstructed from the fragments which is always fun.

My test decal over reacted to 100% Microsol so these are being treated with an approximate 30% dilution (2:1 Microsol to water) which is obviously less fierce.

All in all not the easiest set of decals I've ever dealt with :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Decals are finished and a pro-modeller wash gas been applied.

I wanted to simulate an unusual feature of Gabreski's aeroplane. After it was repainted,here in the UK,the serial number was reapplied to the fin in yellow. Visible in some photos is an area of overspray which has got onto the fin around the stencil and this I've had a go at.

Matt varnish and attachment of dangly bits maybe tomorrow or after the weekend,depending on work commitments.

I want to get this one done now!

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This one is done ,I've stuck some piccies in a completed thread.

Cheers

Steve

V

Vajled

ufff, I'm lateeeeeeeeeeeeeee but never to late for nice words...

GREAT, FANTASTIC, FABOLOUS.... so far

Roman