P-47 Thunderbolt

T

treyzx10r

Looking great Steve and nice to have a handy color authenticator at hand!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm still awaiting the arrival of the harness so I've pushed on with as many bits and pieces as I can. I can't put the cockpit in from the bottom,as on some kits,so until the harness arrives I can't join the fuselage halves.

Most challenging is the engine assembly that fits on the front.

It is taped above.I won't glue it until I have a fuselage to offer it up to. It is made of several parts and getting everything "square" is quite a fiddle. Also keeping the engine in the correct place is important. Get this wrong and the propeller will potentially not sit right!

The inside of the engine covers are painted in Alclad "Dark Aluminium". I again defer to Nigel who assures me they would have had an anodised aluminium finish and not be painted in a primer (ZC yellow or green) as the instructions would suggest.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kressy13

This is looking good. Great looking aircraft. Hopefully that harness arrives soon.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The harness arrived from RB Productions this morning. I've made up these before but even so,there is no getting away from the fact that they are extremely fiddly,even at 1/32 scale. Having said that I think the hard work is worth it,these harnesses look great in the model.

Highly recommended,just make sure you've got your magnifier and fine tweezers at the ready :smiling3:

To be honest I'm glad that bit is done!

On to the next bit soon.

Cheers

Steve

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
They do look fiddly, but they look so good and well worth the eye strain Steve.

Have fun, John

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I forgot how good this kit is!

I've taped the two fuselage halves together with the cockpit fitted.

Just a splosh of glue now. I offered up the wings and they fit perfectly too....joy.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looking good Steve nice instrument dials, are they decals or have you painted them on?

Vaughan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Looking good Steve nice instrument dials, are they decals or have you painted them on?Vaughan
Cripes,no way I could paint that! They are decals,hammered down over the raised detail with four or five applications of Microsol.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
Nice work Steve.I've got one of those harnesses in 1/48 to make up.Not looking forward to it but the end result will make it worthwhile.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Nice work Steve.I've got one of those harnesses in 1/48 to make up.Not looking forward to it but the end result will make it worthwhile.
Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

Dave they are a bit fiddly but I think they look very good. I use a magnifier,a couple of pairs of tweezers and white glue.

Radu says in his instructions not to use PVA or liquid glues but I use an old bottle of Klearfix which is quite significantly thickened and it works a treat. I've got these belts in aircraft that were built a while (couple of years at least) ago and they still look fine.

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I am always amazed at your attention to detail in the cockpit Steve. Remarkable.

K

Kressy13

The seatbelt turned out really well and the rest of the cockpit is superb. Well done.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I enjoy a challenge as much as anyone,but I also enjoy assembling a kit that fits. This one fits beautifully. I haven't even cleaned up the wing-fuselage joins in this picture,I've literally just stuck the wings on. The horizontal stabiliser-fuselage joins are finished.

I'm hoping to get this ready for some primer by tomorrow.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Oooh yes!

I noticed then last night whilst,bizarrely,fixing the gunsight.

They are sanded now and there's not much to see.

Just a quick polish needed before I prime.

They did look like this.

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Impressive wing fit Steve,love it when that happens! Looking great, eagerly awaiting the next update!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Last night I sprayed the rudder and nose red,fitted the canopy and masked its aluminium frame which means that this morning I could start some proper spraying.

So far I've got the basic coat of Medium Sea Grey on the bottom.

I've used my now usual WEM enamels which means I'll leave this a few hours and then do a bit of shading this evening.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got the shading done on the underside.

There will be a bit of waiting now so I've decided to include some figures. I have had some 1/32 Luftwaffe figures from Dartmoor Military Models and was impressed so I ordered up some Yanks. The white metal figures arrived in their little boxes and I've glued them together. Painting them should keep me occupied for a while!

Cheers

Steve