P61 Black Widow

First Name
Dave
View attachment 30443View attachment 30445View attachment 30446View attachment 30447View attachment 30444

Here's my latest build.As you can see its another Monogram kit.This one is of the Northrop P61 Black Widow.For those who have not heard of it, this aircraft was built as a night fighter for the USAF.It was big for a fighter with a wing span of around 66feet.I've had this kit since the early nineties and have finally decided to build it.After our discusion on Black paint finishes this one caught my eye whilst i was browsing my stash deciding on my next build.These aircraft were painted gloss black overall and im not sure how im going to approach the paint job yet.Might do it in a satin finish.At least i won't have any difficult masking to do!.As you can see i've got an Eduard photo etch set and Super Scale decal sheet for it.I also got through the post today a Scale Aircraft Conversions white metal undercarriage set.I got this because the model will need a fair bit of weight added to stop it sitting on its tail.

View attachment 35594

View attachment 35595

View attachment 35596

View attachment 35597

View attachment 35598

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I was just thinking the other day; "Black widow, haven't seen one of those for ages" Then You pop up with one. Spooky.

If you are interested, Neomega resin do a set of clear resin windows for this kit..... Saw it there not ten minutes ago while looking for some bits for my next build. I think I also saw engines for it!!

Husslin hussy would be my choice of nose art (hint)

I would go for the satin finish as well If I were building one.

Look forwards to seeing the build.

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Dave going to be watching this eagerly, I've got the same kit in the stash! I'm with Ian Husslin Hussy all the way. Yes they were painted gloss but a semi gloss would be more like what they would appear like in the field,especially after a few missions

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I nearly bought this kit last year. Defo going to watch this build

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
top choice dave, this kit has been on my 'must get one of those' list for years. Even when i was a spotty teenager i used to drool over this in the monogram catalogue. Cant wait to see it in progress, cheers tony p.s. good call on the metal undercarriage, from what ive seen they look excellent as well as fairly necessary with all the weight youll need to avoid a tail sitter!

First Name
Dave
So far ive built up the fuselage interior.As you can see this is a very well detailed kit.The Kits original decal sheet even includes some cockpit placards.The instrument panel is the Eduard etched item with film instruments.I dont like the chunky control wheel and theres one on the Eduard fret which is too thin!.The seat belts are left over from an Eduard set i bought for my Kingfisher.The PE set includes tiny levers for the throttles etc.They are so small i m not going to bother with them.I can barely see them with my glasses on!.

View attachment 30466View attachment 30469View attachment 30470View attachment 30467

View attachment 30468

First Name
Dave
View attachment 30471View attachment 30472View attachment 30473View attachment 30474

Here are some photos out of a book of mine on USAF fighters.Appaerently the gloss black paint didnt stay on very well.You can see this in the second photo above.Unfortunately i havent the skill to replicate that !.According to the caption, the photo of the one in flight shows heavy exhaust staining .Wonder what colours would be best for this?.Amixture of light grey and silver maybe?.Ive been trying to find out if the crew seats had shoulder straps as well as lap straps.The cockpit photo above is the only one i have of the interior and its hard to tell.Ive gone with just lap straps as the seats had these moulded on but no shoulder straps.

View attachment 35615

View attachment 35616

View attachment 35617

View attachment 35618

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

M

msm2

Very interesting build Dave. In Post #6 unable to view attachments.

T

treyzx10r

Dave for the exhaust stain I would go with light sand mixed with white,and go more white in the middle of the stain. Yes they did have shoulder straps. Found a decent link might help with some of it

warbirdregistry.org - A Warbirds Resource Group Site - Northrop P-61 Black Widow

First Name
Dave
Thanks Trey.Had a bit of trouble posting last night.Will try posting photos of my build again this evening.

First Name
Dave
Here are the photos i tried posting last night.I find posting on here a hit and miss affair.I carry out exactly the same actions each time.But maybe 5 times out of 10 it goes wrong.At the moment id rather spend my spare time modelling than sat at the computer trying to sort this out.Anyway,the photos show the cockpit interior which is just about finished.Trey tells me the seats had shoulder harnesses, so ive still to fit these.Ive also fitted the PE grills to the wing radiators.These come in two pieces per grill and it looks like a pretty straight forward job to fit them.But i managed to make it difficult,got super glue in the wrong places and the outer grills ended up a bit bent.Just have to pretend they've been hit by debris from a plane its just shot down!.I've also rescribed the raised detail on one of the wings.

View attachment 30489000View attachment 30490View attachment 30491View attachment 30492View attachment 30493View attachment 30494View attachment 30495

View attachment 35633

View attachment 35634

View attachment 35635

View attachment 35636

View attachment 35637

View attachment 35638

View attachment 35639

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looks great Dave

T

treyzx10r

Dave nice clean rescribe job! The office is looking good too and do'nt sweat the grill, the dent adds character

First Name
Dave
I've finished scribing panel lines on the wings and fuselage and have joined these assemblies together.As you can see a bit of filler was needed on the fuselage and a few sink marks here and there.Paid a visit to the RAF museum at Hendon yesterday.Whilst i was there i went into Hannants shop.I bought some more Eduard USAF seat belts amoungst other things.So i will be able to add some to the third crew members seat in the back,along with shoulder harnesses for the other two seats.

View attachment 30576View attachment 30577

View attachment 35718

View attachment 35719

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

First Name
Dave
Thanks Trey.Wish i had your skills with PE.I dread using the stuff.Actually,its not the PE thats the problem its sticking it to the model!.I bought an Eduard etched set for my 1\48 Italeri Lysander yesterday.Looking forward to working with that!!!

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Dave,I got a Lizzie in my stash looking forward to seeing yours go together. I sometimes use a 30 min epoxy with PE it seems to be easier to work with on some items,medium odorless ca is what I mainly use tho.

First Name
Dave
Haven't made a lot of progress since my last post due to work and family comitments.I usually leave undercarriage legs off until the end,but this kit is designed such that the leg has to be trapped between the tail boom halves during assembly of the later.So i've fitted one of the white metal legs.I've also managed to stick one of the PE grills to the underside of a tail boom without messing it up!.And i've scribed the panel detail on the boom.A bit of filling and sanding to do on the boom to wing join.And a lot of scratches to remove where i've scribed next to the raised detail.

View attachment 30743View attachment 30744View attachment 30745

View attachment 35859

View attachment 35860

View attachment 35861

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Just catching up after my modem problems and seen this, great work so far Dave. Looking forward seeing it finished mate, going to look great.

Have fun, John

Last edited by a moderator: