Pacific Carrier/Aircraft chat thread.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
..... Well it had to happen.....
I  WAS going to try something different for this GB,but I'm afraid I've reverted to type and gone down the Wingy fing route.....
Liked these for a long time,read some good reviews..... So my entry will be this.......
71FnXTrES0S._AC_SL1500_.jpg
3 options decal wise,think I'll probably go for USS Lexington one. :smiling3:(that's the one on the box ;) )

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
..... Well it had to happen.....
I  WAS going to try something different for this GB,but I'm afraid I've reverted to type and gone down the Wingy fing route.....
Liked these for a long time,read some good reviews..... So my entry will be this.......
View attachment 471173
3 options decal wise,think I'll probably go for USS Lexington one. :smiling3:(that's the one on the box ;) )
Very nice and I like the 1943 Stars and Bars my favorite ones

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Andy, I had that in my basket on the rainforest site, but held off whilst watching the recent Midway film, lolz that'll teach me to strike whilst the iron is hot and not leave things hanging.....

So seeing as I can't get hold of an SDB-3 (like the one Richard Best flew) on said site, (got a shed load of amazon vouchers to use up), I'm gonna pull the trigger on this... according to the decals it was part of the second attack wing at Pearl Harbor..(Harbour for us brits)... so should fall within the guidelines for the group build..

eduard82212reviewbg_1.jpg

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Andy, I had that in my basket on the rainforest site, but held off whilst watching the recent Midway film, lolz that'll teach me to strike whilst the iron is hot and not leave things hanging.....

So seeing as I can't get hold of an SDB-3 (like the one Richard Best flew) on said site, I'm gonna pull the trigger on this...

View attachment 471189
I have the Tora! Tora! Tora! boxing, was tempted but have none of the fancy colours used by the IJN...

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy

So seeing as I can't get hold of an SDB-3 (like the one Richard Best flew) on said site, (got a shed load of amazon vouchers to use up), I'm gonna pull the trigger on this... according to the decals it was part of the second attack wing at Pearl Harbor..(Harbour for us brits)... so should fall within the guidelines for the group build..

View attachment 471189
Looking very good there Chris :smiling3:
I did actually look at doing a Jap plane, but got suckered into a "Raider" ,I have bought one,but apparently they're land based!! :sad:
Nevermind, I've got a more relevant kit now :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ok....so I had decided to join this then screwed up with my choice..... wanted to do a Jap plane....but not a Zero....so found the Mitsubishi J2M Raiden as flown by the Imperial Navy.... Perfect!......found the venerable Tamiya 1/48 offering for a very reasonable price and ordered it yesterday....... it's been a VERY long week at work and I have had a lot on my mind.....which must have affected my research as have JUST clocked that these were entirely land based.....:anguished::anguished::fearful::fearful::loudly-crying::loudly-crying:

Back to the drawing board.....

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hate migraines. I’ve lost countless days to them over the years so you have my absolute sympathy Karl. Got them pretty much weekly for a while. Nothing on prescription seemed to help, though epileptic meds broke the weekly cycle for a while. As I’ve got older they have got less frequent, and less intense, to the point where I can now control them with Solpadeine soluble painkillers. They last much longer now though, two or three days, sometimes longer. Good job I only get a few per year now….
Enjoy the film though……interested to know what you think of it.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Hate migraines. I’ve lost countless days to them over the years so you have my absolute sympathy Karl. Got them pretty much weekly for a while. Nothing on prescription seemed to help, though epileptic meds broke the weekly cycle for a while. As I’ve got older they have got less frequent, and less intense, to the point where I can now control them with Solpadeine soluble painkillers. They last much longer now though, two or three days, sometimes longer. Good job I only get a few per year now….
Enjoy the film though……interested to know what you think of it.
14 Months since my last debilitating one, I usually use Ibuprofen Lysine at the onset and it goes pretty quickly, but if it doesn't that's the day gone.
Got Zolmitriptan on script today and it seems to have done the job, though left me woolen headed.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Ok....so I had decided to join this then screwed up with my choice..... wanted to do a Jap plane....but not a Zero....so found the Mitsubishi J2M Raiden as flown by the Imperial Navy.... Perfect!......found the venerable Tamiya 1/48 offering for a very reasonable price and ordered it yesterday....... it's been a VERY long week at work and I have had a lot on my mind.....which must have affected my research as have JUST clocked that these were entirely land based.....:anguished::anguished::fearful::fearful::loudly-crying::loudly-crying:

Back to the drawing board.....

Andrew
Didn't Andy do the same hence his Japanese Plane GB, at least you have something for that one now.......

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
14 Months since my last debilitating one, I usually use Ibuprofen Lysine at the onset and it goes pretty quickly, but if it doesn't that's the day gone.
Got Zolmitriptan on script today and it seems to have done the job, though left my woolen headed.
My wife has Zomig as a nasal spray. Works best if you use it at the very first signs of an attack. I used it a few times when I had really bad attacks, found it gave me a weird numbness feeling in my mouth…….hope it continues to help.
Might be worth trying Solpadeine solvable if you haven’t. It’s paracetamol, codeine, and a caffeine accelerator. The caffeine gets the painkillers in your system more quickly. Liquid and spray forms of medication work better than tablets because migraines stuff up your stomach’s ability to absorb things. It’s why you feel bloated when you are suffering an attack.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
My wife has Zomig as a nasal spray. Works best if you use it at the very first signs of an attack. I used it a few times when I had really bad attacks, found it gave me a weird numbness feeling in my mouth…….hope it continues to help.
Might be worth trying Solpadeine solvable if you haven’t. It’s paracetamol, codeine, and a caffeine accelerator. The caffeine gets the painkillers in your system more quickly. Liquid and spray forms of medication work better than tablets because migraines stuff up your stomach’s ability to absorb things. It’s why you feel bloated when you are suffering an attack.
You can actually have just abdominal migraines, my son was diagnosed with them before we finally got his EOE diagnosis.

(Can't take codine, asthmatic.)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Didn't Andy do the same hence his Japanese Plane GB, at least you have something for that one now.......
Karl,

Firstly, hope that the worst of the migraine effects wear off quickly.

Secondly.... You're right about Andy's build....

Thirdly, I had got yours and Andy's GB's mixed up....it has been a long week!! Good luck with your GB.

I'll get my coat.....

ATB.

Andrew

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
OK so the film.
If you like TBD Devestators and SBD Dauntless you'll be happy, though not a Wildcat in sight. They built a replica Dauntless for the film which is now on display on the USS Midway.
It did follow the events pretty well, focusing on the USS Enterprise, and is certainly not as fantastical as a certain other film, and you get the feeling the dramatical bits are lifted from accounts and memoirs.
There's a few inaccuracies regarding markings, Red centre dots and stripy tails missing in the earlier segments, but nothing unforgivable. Even the wrong Mitchell bomber for the Doolittle raid isn't a biggy.
The battle scenes are CGI, the CGI as a whole is pretty good and I only got into the uncanny valley once, and has planes falling out of the sky at an alarming rate, though there's no 'investment', you don't feel the loss, even in the final scenes when "1/2 our guys dead or missing" is uttered.

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde talking about the Giants Causeway, "Worth watching, but not worth going [out of your way] to watch."

Cast.

Aichi D3A

Aichi E13A

Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress

Douglas SBD Dauntless

Douglas TBD Devastator

Martin B-26 Marauder

Mitsubishi A6M Zero

Mitsubishi G3M Nell

Nakajima B5N Kate

North American B-25J Mitchell (Should of been a B)

Vought OS2U Kingfisher

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
You can actually have just abdominal migraines, my son was diagnosed with them before we finally got his EOE diagnosis.

(Can't take codine, asthmatic.)
Abdominals are my most prevalent these days. Don’t get the visual disturbances I used to get anymore either. I didn’t get the classic aura, just felt like I was perpetually walking around corners :surprised: .
Pity about codeine….I can’t take ibuprofen at the moment, blood thinners don’t like the minor stomach abrasion it can cause….

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
OK so the film.
If you like TBD Devestators and SBD Dauntless you'll be happy, though not a Wildcat in sight. They built a replica Dauntless for the film which is now on display on the USS Midway.
It did follow the events pretty well, focusing on the USS Enterprise, and is certainly not as fantastical as a certain other film, and you get the feeling the dramatical bits are lifted from accounts and memoirs.
There's a few inaccuracies regarding markings, Red centre dots and stripy tails missing in the earlier segments, but nothing unforgivable. Even the wrong Mitchell bomber for the Doolittle raid isn't a biggy.
The battle scenes are CGI, the CGI as a whole is pretty good and I only got into the uncanny valley once, and has planes falling out of the sky at an alarming rate, though there's no 'investment', you don't feel the loss, even in the final scenes when "1/2 our guys dead or missing" is uttered.

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde talking about the Giants Causeway, "Worth watching, but not worth going [out of your way] to watch."

Cast.

Aichi D3A

Aichi E13A

Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress

Douglas SBD Dauntless

Douglas TBD Devastator

Martin B-26 Marauder

Mitsubishi A6M Zero

Mitsubishi G3M Nell

Nakajima B5N Kate

North American B-25J Mitchell (Should of been a B)

Vought OS2U Kingfisher
Nice review. One to watch when it gets to TV then……