Pacific Carrier War GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Someone planted this idea in my head on the latest acquisitions page after I posted a Corsair, well the suggestion was just a straight up Corsair GB but it got me thinking.
We missed the opportunity to commemorate the 80th Anniversary of the Battle of Midway this year, I think the Falklands conflict overshadows it now as they both ended in June only 40 years (And one week.) apart.
So my idea is simple, any carrier or carrier based aircraft involved in the War in the Pacific 1941-1945, Battle of the Coral Sea was in May 1942 so I'm going to suggest May-July 2023. (Battle of Miday was in June.)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Someone planted this idea in my head on the latest acquisitions page after I posted a Corsair, well the suggestion was just a straight up Corsair GB but it got me thinking.
We missed the opportunity to commemorate the 80th Anniversary of the Battle of Midway this year, I think the Falklands conflict overshadows it now as they both ended in June only 40 years (And one week.) apart.
So my idea is simple, any carrier or carrier based aircraft involved in the War in the Pacific 1941-1945, Battle of the Coral Sea was in May 1942 so I'm going to suggest May-July 2023. (Battle of Miday was in June.)
Sounds good to me. I have a FAA Tarpon in the stash that may suit…….

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm definitely in :smiling3: ....
Got a few candidates in the stash,just gotta make my mind up which one to do for this GB.(My Corsair was going to be next plane build anyway. ;) )

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Will sit this one out but will follow with interest.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Would a P47D qualify?
Pete
Actually, some were being ferried on the USS Manilla bay and 4 were used to defend the ship when attacked off Saipan, so yes, but I would say it would have to carry the appropriate markings.
After loading 37 Army Republic P-47 Thunderbolts of the Army Air Forces' 73rd Fighter Squadron, 318th Fighter Group, Manila Bay sailed on 5 June for the Mariana Islands. Steaming via Eniwetok, she reached the eastern approaches to Saipan on 19 June. During the next 4 days, she remained east of the embattled island as ships and planes of the Fast Carrier Task Force repulsed the Japanese Fleet in the Battle of the Philippine Sea, and inflicted staggering losses on the enemy, crippling the Imperial Navy’s air strength permanently.

On 23 June, Manila Bay came under enemy air attack during refueling operations east of Saipan. Four Aichi D3A Val dive bombers attacked her from dead ahead, dropping their bombs which exploded wide to port. As a precautionary and rather unusual move which Raymond A. Spruance later characterized as "commendable initiative", Manila Bay launched four of the P-47 Thunderbolts she was ferrying to fly protective CAP until radar screens were clear of contacts. The Army fighters then flew to Saipan, their intended destination. Manila Bay launched the remaining planes the next day and returned to Eniwetok, arriving on 27 June. After embarking 207 wounded troops, she departed on 1 July, touched Pearl Harbor on the 8th, and reached San Diego on 16 July.

Status
Not open for further replies.