PACK ICE! Novaya Zemlya....H.M.S. Belfast Dec. 1943

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
It's December 1943, HMS Belfast, along with elements of the British Navy has just sunk the German Battle Cruiser Scharnhorst and she is heading for the Kola Inlet in Northern Russia....

She has encountered pack ice off the island of Novaya Zemlya, and has slowed to a crawl, whilst she carefully pushes her way through to clearer water....

The initial build is explained in the other 'Belfast thread'. The final stage was to paint the white base Dk.blue and then I made the ice from a sloppy poly filla mixture and when dry, I cracked it up and stuck the pieces random like over the blue using very diluted PVA, thus giving a cracked look to the ice surface....A suprisingly simple process, the difficult bit was making the ice smaller by the ship, going out to bigger, undisturbed stuff further away, but I managed to get close to the result I was after.

I gave the ship and rigging a dry brushing of white acrylic to give a sort of frosted look to the steel.

I've really enjoyed this build and being something I'd not done before, it was great fun figuring out a way to get the ice to look something like, to show off the ship, and to convey the awful conditions the mariners endured.....

You might wonder why no Walrus aircraft? They weren't carried after June 1943....

I took the pictures in sunny blue skies, by tilting the model up to the heavens, thus avoiding trees and the like! The sunset one was taken for fun just as the sun dipped below the hills....

Here is the finished model.

Thanks for looking.

View attachment 79195

View attachment 79196

View attachment 79197

View attachment 79198

View attachment 79199

View attachment 79200

View attachment 79201

View attachment 79202

View attachment 79203

View attachment 79204

View attachment 79205

View attachment 79206

View attachment 79207

View attachment 79208

View attachment 79209

View attachment 79210

View attachment 79211

View attachment 79212

Sorry about the wonky masts.....It's the weight of the ice!

Ron

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 039.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 041.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 046.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 058.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 084.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 106.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 108.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 109.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 098.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 060.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 076.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 077.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 049.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 070.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 072.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 073.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 117.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
What a wonderful dio, wonky masts or not this is a lovely depiction of a cold yet still setting. The ice flows look very realistic, and enhance the imagery. The light frosting on the ship highlights the angles beautifully. Top Work Ron, love this to pieces.

Si:smiling3:

D

dubster72

Wow that's brilliant Ron! The broken pack ice looks great & the black & white pictures could be authentic wartime shot's!

I'm glad you included the sunset pic, that's a very nice one.

Top marks young man!

Cheers Patrick

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your input chaps. I appreciate them. They make for very nice reading.....

Cheers.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You did it again!

I do like seeing your maritime adventures.

Great stuff all the way from the first picture to the shock ending with that gigantic bottle of Vallejo paint!!! Where on earth did you get that from!!!

Excellent Ron!

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
...... Gobsmacked .... I'm struggling to express how much I like this without swearing!!! Everything is amazing matey , the pack ice , the photos , the ship , the wake , all totally real looking ( the sunset shot is my fave ),the Great build doodab just doesnt seem enough! , cheers tony

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
\ said:
...... Gobsmacked .... I'm struggling to express how much I like this without swearing!!! Everything is amazing matey , the pack ice , the photos , the ship , the wake , all totally real looking ( the sunset shot is my fave ),the Great build doodab just doesnt seem enough! , cheers tony
truly great dio Ron , the whole thing is just so spot on cannot real add whats beem said lov it ++ for it

i think i do like the second last picture, the best with the setting or rising sun looks great :cool:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Fantastic work Ron, those pictures could have been taken in 1943. Awesome build

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Wow, boys and girl....What an amazing set of replies. I'm truly taken aback by the great comments on my diorama.

The perfect natural light really helped get the great shadows and nice deep blue sky. I was very lucky to get both at the same time...

Thanks ever so much......

Now, would anyone like some Vallejo Model Colour Negro Black Acrylic paint? I have 500,000ltrs. to get rid of!!!!

Cheers all,

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Fantastic work Ron, those pictures could have been taken in 1943. Awesome build
The quality of Ron's work always makes me think he's cheated and got hold of pictures of the real thing. This piece is no exception.

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
The quality of Ron's work always makes me think he's cheated and got hold of pictures of the real thing. This piece is no exception.Gern
After posting a model thread, I don't think anyone could receive a better, more humbling post than this about their work.......

Thanks Dave. I couldn't wish for a better way to start my day.......

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Apologies for resurrecting this build, but I thought the following might be of interest......

I was in the garden yesterday when I noticed the cloud formation and thought how like the wacky paint job on HMS Belfast during her duties with Russian convoys in WW2.......Yes, I know, what a sad person!

So I took a picture of the said sky, printed it off on cheapo A4 paper and placing it behind the model and took the picture below. I tried an 'as is', like the original pictures, but due to the glare from the sky, the ship was too dark, hence the printed picture.

Although a strange camouflage ( and a s** to paint!) you can see the thinking behind it for use in Arctic waters......

View attachment 79977

Cheers all,

Ron

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 119.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That is a great picture Ron and works really well, it compliments the ship beautifully.

Si:smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Si, see how the front funnel has almost blended in......Pity about the horizontal 'tween masts aerials. 'cos it's a low picture, the four have joined together making the things look like a walkway!!!

Cheers,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Derek, it's always nice to read your comments on my models......

Cheers,

Ron

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Brilliant. Very clever as well. I've never seen anything like this before.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the positive post Colin, I appreciate it.

Are you going to Cosford this coming Sunday?

Cheers,

Ron

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Thanks for the positive post Colin, I appreciate it.Are you going to Cosford this coming Sunday?

Cheers,

Ron
Your welcome Ron, well deserved. Cosford ? 99.9% yes (just a slight problem with daughter No1 at Guide camp)