Paint issues

L

lemoff

I don't seem to be having much luck with airbrushing with Revell acrylic paints.

It seems that i just cannot get the mix right.

Sometimes I to make it too thin but when i try to thicken it up it still doesnt give a good finish.

Maybe it is my thinning... when you thin the acrylic paints, do you generally tend to use water or special thinners? I wonder if it is worth just getting airbrushing paint and getting confidence up with my work by using that to start with.

It seems that the model making is improving but the painting..... well... isnt so much.

Any ideas would be great.

A

andygh

My suggestion is to try a different paint, Aquacolor is fine for brushing but comes way down the list when it comes to airbrushing. Vallejo model air would be my first choice if you're just starting out

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Vallejo or Tamiya if you are using acrylics. I've heard good things about Lifecolor acrylics but I've never used them.I would also suggest using the relevant brand of thinners to start with. Later you might try thinning with water or IPA and adding retarders.

If I'm completely honest I have to say that spraying enamel paints is much easier but you have to deal with the smell and long drying times. If you do fancy a go with enamels White Ensign Colorcoats are the best easily available in the UK.

I switched to acrylics a few years ago but I have sprayed at least part of my last two models with my old enamels and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

Yes I started, after giving up on enamels, with Revell acrylics & found them difficult.

Went to Vallejo Air & found life much easier. First started using them neat as they come from the bottle. But now I thin about 4 drops paint to one of thinner. I decant straight from the containers into the airbrush cup.

I then use a small paint brush to give the paint a good mix with the thinners. Others mix with a cocktail stick but I did not find method mixed up the paint as well as a brush. If you use a brush for mixing it is tempting to use any old brush. Not a good idea ! I use a good quality brush to avoid hairs in the mixing cup which cause great fun & lots of choice expressions which hover around the very perimeter of the Queen's English.

Laurie

L

lemoff

Thanks for that everyone. It gets a little disheartening after a while and after all.... it is supposed to be relaxing hehe.

I will have to see what paints i need for my next build and get some ready to use paints. Just the underside of my 109 and bits on the Fokker and i should be ready to rock and roll.

Cheers

Chris

I

Ivor100

I have also been disappointed spraying with Revell acrylic paint. I ended up thinning the paint with some Johnson Klear and a drop of distilled water to end up with a milky consistency to the paint, but have ended up going back to using Humbrol enamels thinned down for the airbrush and have had much better results - you just have to be patient with the drying time and use in a well ventilated area. I intend to only use acrylics with a brush.

P

ping-pong

ive just finished spraying my sherman with modelair and its amazingly easy to use especially with my gravity fed airbrush. Did some shadows and some highlights too.

:smiling3:

Si