Paint Name Brand advice

K

kato1964

New to the forum, so my first post;

Getting back into the hobby, after many decades away from it. When I was heavily into it as a tween/teen, Testors was about the only paint choice available at most locations. I guess using the "go with what you know" method, when I started gathering painting supplies I again went with Testors. (again seemingly the most readily available name brand at most local hobby outlets I've visited...) Then it came back to me in a rush; Testors has some really weak paint mixtures, primarily white and yellow. I primarily build scale model aircraft, WWII vintage generally. Many German aircraft paint schemes have yellow, and I am have a helluva time getting decent results, which is severely detracting from the finished product.

Any suggestions as to alternative brands of paint? Overall I don't have a issue with Testors, but when it comes to their gloss/flat whites and yellows, frankly they sucked in the 70s and haven't improved one bit since then.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks...

First Name
Aaron
Hi Kato Welcome to the forum, I havent used testors before but for a good enamel yellow I use Humbrol matt 154 Insignia yellow.

All Tamiya paints either enamel or acrylic are very good and trustworthy of an excellent finish.

Of course there are other options like Vallejo but i havent used them yet (in the post)

Im sure someone wuth exp in these will help out, But i can and do recommend tamiya and humbrol for great enamel choices

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Gloss white and Gloss Yellow are aways a problem regardless of the makers name. I find that painting the first coat or two in matt then either give them gloss varnish or a coat of gloss colour helps a lot.

Ian M

T

tecdes

Yes agree Ian. Just painting the tips of props recently took about 5 coats to get a good finish.

My paints are Vallejo. One of their strong points is the number of priming coat colours they do. About 5 or 6 so you get a good base coat colour to work from. Think the problem may be Kato to find someone who has used a variety of paints. Cannot help on that one except to say try a variety.

Laurie